Redish Brown Fuzz

Corey

I have an issue trying to eliminate a redish brown fuzz from a peice of large driftwood in my planted 80gal tank, I have ried scrubbing the stuff off with no luck and tried a few things from Big Al's staff with no luck. Does anyone know what this is -an algae I assume- and how to get rid of it?

It's probably dead Brush Algae. Have you tried spot treatments of Seachem Excel? Excel usually softens it up enough to pull off.

If in fact it is algae and there is nothing else on the driftwood you care about drop it in a bucket for a few days, treat with hydrogen peroxide every morning at 1ml/L. Make sure it has some light. At the end your only byproduct will be some extra oxygen in the water. The light will break down the hydrogen peroxide and when it does this it kills your algae. You could also consider getting a sae.

Unfortunatly it's a large peice planted with anubis that has really taken off and covered it well recently. It doesn't seem to be spreadying but I have pulled it and tried scrubbing it with a plastic dish style bush with no result.

If it's dead shouldn't it break down? I know my bristle nose won't touch the stuff.

I possibly have the same red algae and some of that stuff does not come off, One day I had taken some stuff out of my tank rocks, plants etc and left them, When I went to use them I again they needed to be cleaned and by this point the stuff was dry and the red algae was dead, It was then easily removed under the tap. The stuff was out of the tank for about a week or more

It would be easy to say remove the wood for a couple weeks for the algae to dry out and die but you have a plant on it. What kind of bulb(s) are you using? I was reading some where that some UV bulbs help certain red algaes grow... thats all I can remember