no substrate

fish_geek

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I find, is that my fish don't like it as much. They never show their true personalities as much and seem more skittish. And substrate hold beneficial bacteria. Bare bottom tank also need to be cleaned more frequently, although they can be easier to clean. I only use bare bottom now in QT tanks.

The only issue I find, is that my fish don't like it as much. They never show their true personalities as much and seem more skittish. And substrate hold beneficial bacteria. Bare bottom tank also need to be cleaned more frequently, although they can be easier to clean. I only use bare bottom now in QT tanks.

Actually after running it for awhile without substrate I missed it and ended up adding some. For years I have purchased granite "chicken grit" from the UFA for aquarium substrate. It only costs about $10.00 for 50 Lbs and works great.

Actually after running it for awhile without substrate I missed it and ended up adding some. For years I have purchased granite "chicken grit" from the UFA for aquarium substrate. It only costs about $10.00 for 50 Lbs and works great.

Wow thanks for the tip. Hmm i'll have to remember that next time i need gravel.

Thanks

L :thumbs:

I think the fish are happier with a substrate....with a substrate they display their natural habits.... my Africans move their substrate all the time.....

Bare bottoms are easy to clean but they do nothing for the fish and do not please the eye either...

Only my QT tank and Breeding and fry tanks are bare bottom....

Why would bare bottom tanks need to be cleaned more frequently? All surfaces hold bacteria, glass too. Your bacteria will adapt to your fishes bio load, if you have gravel in it or not.

Why would bare bottom tanks need to be cleaned more frequently? All surfaces hold bacteria, glass too. Your bacteria will adapt to your fishes bio load, if you have gravel in it or not.

For one, because you can see all the debris and poop alot better. Yes glass can hold bacteria, but it is not very porous so does not help a whole lot with the bioload. In a bare bottom tank the filter usually holds most of the good bacteria. I have had bare bottom tanks for months before, my fish seemed much happier when I added substrate.

For one, because you can see all the debris and poop alot better. Yes glass can hold bacteria, but it is not very porous so does not help a whole lot with the bioload. In a bare bottom tank the filter usually holds most of the good bacteria. I have had bare bottom tanks for months before, my fish seemed much happier when I added substrate.

Because there is debris doesn't really have anything to do with it? Sorry if I am not understanding. I guess it might not be pleasing to the eye seeing debris, but it is much easier to clean it up when you can see it.

My Discus are in a bare bottom and they are very happy. For some fish it is important that you keep them in a bare bottom tank, especially when growing out Discus.

Edited by DiscusLova

Because there is debris doesn't really have anything to do with it? Sorry if I am not understanding. I guess it might not be pleasing to the eye seeing debris, but it is much easier to clean it up when you can see it.

My Discus are in a bare bottom and they are very happy. For some fish it is important that you keep them in a bare bottom tank, especially when growing out Discus.

I agree when growing out Discus it is essential that they are in a bare bottom tank...

As adults the game changes.... The Biotope is the thing... Otherwise it is a bore...................IMO but for each their own....

I agree when growing out Discus it is essential that they are in a bare bottom tank...

As adults the game changes.... The Biotope is the thing... Otherwise it is a bore...................IMO but for each their own....

I see where people come from when they say that bare bottom tanks are boring, but to be honest, If you can keep a bare bottom squeaky clean and glass streak free, then it looks amazing. Because there are no distractions with plants, gravel and ornaments, it really puts an emphasis on the Discus and their colors without distracting the eye. The tank starts to look dirty, or its too dark, or there is algae/streaks on the glass then this is a different story :shock:

But dont get my wrong, the Biotope/Planted look can be amazing also.

Yes younger discus will do much better in a bare bottom tank, because they can find the food easier. But my discus are around 3"+ so I do have them in with substrate. I did keep them with bare bottom for about 6 mths, but it was difficult to keep live plants when all you have is to tie them to the driftwood. I much prefer keeping live plants with my discus because they help suck up the nitrates, and any discus keeper knows how sensitive they can be to high nitrates. I have used sand for them, and sand in most of my aquariums. It is still pretty easy to suck up the debris, since most of it sits on top of the sand. Even with gravel, it's not very hard to stick a gravel vac in and suck up the debris. I honestly can't see myself scrubbing the bottom glass of a tank, so keeping it clean and sparkly sounds more difficult to me than having a substrate that hides the dirt a little. The only time I find a bare bottom tank easier to maintain, is when you are trying to clean around decoration such as rocks and driftwood, other than that it just seems like more work to me to maintain that look.

Back to the point fish geek, I think putting slate down will look good, it just might make it a little harder to clean having to lift the slate rocks up to vacuum underneath them. And in all honesty and from what I have seen in my fish that have been kept in substrate bottom as well as bare bottom, is that they seem much happier being able to move the substrate around with their mouths and stuff. Many fish are natural diggers, so it kind of takes that away from them. And you will have to watch that they rocks don't have any jagged edges they can easily scrape themselves on. Hope you figured out what you want to do, and post some pics of the finished product ;)

Yes younger discus will do much better in a bare bottom tank, because they can find the food easier. But my discus are around 3"+ so I do have them in with substrate. I did keep them with bare bottom for about 6 mths, but it was difficult to keep live plants when all you have is to tie them to the driftwood. I much prefer keeping live plants with my discus because they help suck up the nitrates, and any discus keeper knows how sensitive they can be to high nitrates. I have used sand for them, and sand in most of my aquariums. It is still pretty easy to suck up the debris, since most of it sits on top of the sand. Even with gravel, it's not very hard to stick a gravel vac in and suck up the debris. I honestly can't see myself scrubbing the bottom glass of a tank, so keeping it clean and sparkly sounds more difficult to me than having a substrate that hides the dirt a little. The only time I find a bare bottom tank easier to maintain, is when you are trying to clean around decoration such as rocks and driftwood, other than that it just seems like more work to me to maintain that look.

Well I have to say, IMO 3 inches is still too small. Fish should be grown out until they are adults (5+ in.) Studies have shown (on another forum) that keeping Discus with gravel and letting them grow out in them stunts the fish and it is not just because they cannot find the food, it is because it is much harder to clean a bare bottom. Even if you siphon your tank twice a day I doubt you will get anywhere close to the cleanliness you can get while managing a bare bottom tank.

As for nitrates, if you do your recommended amount for Discus, (at least twice a week) then you should have no problem with them. I clean my tank once a day and my nitrates are 0.