peacock Bass cichlid

fish_geek

Here are a few articles about peacock cichlids to get you started.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacock_corner.php

Its kind of hard to sum up the care of an entire group of cichlids but here are some quick notes.

They are a african cichlid from lake malawi. They prefer higher ph, our tap water is good enough. They can be fairly aggressive but are one of the more "peaceful" african cichlids. They do best kept in a tank of other peacocks or other african cichlids of similar temperament. They are polygamous mouthbrooders, which means they should be kept in ratios of 1 male to multiple females, or in an all male tank. Female peacocks are all a drab brown color and you shouldn't mix species as once they are mixed you won't be able to tell the females apart. So if you plan on breeding you can only keep 1 species/ tank. The females hold the eggs/fry in her mouth for 3-4 weeks.

Peacock care is similar to other malawi cichlids. So reaserch malawi cichlids as well as peacocks.

The hardest thing with an african tank is tankmate selection and dealing with aggression issues.

Edited by degrassi

Saw some peacock cichlids in the lfs the other day. When I last had a freshwater tank these fish were not available. Does anyone have any experience keeping this cichlid?

There is a world of expierence on this Forum... ask a question and it will usually be answer quickly... Many of us have or have kept peacocks in the past....

Here are a few articles about peacock cichlids to get you started.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacock_corner.php

Its kind of hard to sum up the care of an entire group of cichlids but here are some quick notes.

They are a african cichlid from lake malawi. They prefer higher ph, our tap water is good enough. They can be fairly aggressive but are one of the more "peaceful" african cichlids. They do best kept in a tank of other peacocks or other african cichlids of similar temperament. They are polygamous mouthbrooders, which means they should be kept in ratios of 1 male to multiple females, or in an all male tank. Female peacocks are all a drab brown color and you shouldn't mix species as once they are mixed you won't be able to tell the females apart. So if you plan on breeding you can only keep 1 species/ tank. The females hold the eggs/fry in her mouth for 3-4 weeks.

Peacock care is similar to other malawi cichlids. So reaserch malawi cichlids as well as peacocks.

The hardest thing with an african tank is tankmate selection and dealing with aggression issues.

My apologies, I should have specified "Peacock Bass" Cichlid, not the African Peacock.

I don't know much about them but I do know they get huge. I would say you need a 250 gallon plus tank for these monsters. I know hybrid on this site has experience with them, he might give you some advice and point you in the right direction.

What exactly do you want to know i raised Peacock bass from 2 inches to 18 inches Tems and O's. They eat alot specially if there not trained off of live foods. They grow to extreme sizes 24" and need alarge set up. my 220 gal hardly handled them. but wow nice colors...just ask if you have any specific questions

What exactly do you want to know i raised Peacock bass from 2 inches to 18 inches Tems and O's. They eat alot specially if there not trained off of live foods. They grow to extreme sizes 24" and need alarge set up. my 220 gal hardly handled them. but wow nice colors...just ask if you have any specific questions
I guess my major concern was if they are a realistic occupant of an aquarium at all, but it sounds like it can be done in a large system. How are they with other aggressive fish of the same size?

I guess my major concern was if they are a realistic occupant of an aquarium at all, but it sounds like it can be done in a large system. How are they with other aggressive fish of the same size?

Im no expert but I thought they were really agressive feeders, but not overly agressive to other large fish.

I kept a few over the years.

They are not aggressive at all to other fish but will eat them if they can. Having said that I find them the worst creatures of habit you can own. If they are trained on dead chances are they won't eat anything live. If they are trained on one food, they will only eat that one food.

Get big and fast. They are incredibly cool to watch, have incredibly cool colors and feeding time? Bring a towel....

I totally agree with Rudy theres nothing like a 4-5 foot wave comming out of a tank at feeding time....lol and i have never seen anything more than a push from the nose at any other fish. they can really eat like tons and grow suprisingly fast. Your tank would need a large filtration system for waste. Take a look i bumped up an old thread on peacock bass and Datnoids for ya

Edited by CORVETTE

• 2 weeks later...

I have several monoculus and ocellaris right now (tems get much to large for me lol), they are very friendly and I must say at a young age if you hand feed them then you should be able to get them to eat many different things, mine eat food sticks, feeders, bloodworms... they are personable to, kind like oscars... what lfs was this and what did they look like and what size... did they have a singe horizontal line through their body or 3 vertical stripes/ spots...

I have several monoculus and ocellaris right now (tems get much to large for me lol), they are very friendly and I must say at a young age if you hand feed them then you should be able to get them to eat many different things, mine eat food sticks, feeders, bloodworms... they are personable to, kind like oscars... what lfs was this and what did they look like and what size... did they have a singe horizontal line through their body or 3 vertical stripes/ spots...

They were at Big Al's when I was there two weeks ago. I can't remember the details as to there lines and stripes sorry. But they were labelled as Ocellaris.