Stupid question...

chloeclose

I thought they were fully submersible, I'm sure I've seen 'em fully submersed... but according to the box they are not... :well:

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks! :)

aha...an answer I know. I will just have trouble explaining it lol

I believe they are fully submersible. The reason the box says they aren't is because of some kind of law in Canada. The same heaters sold in the US say they are fully submersible on the box.

I read this on a forum somewhere.

They are still submersible :) But i have found something weird with my new ones. I have them fully submersed in my tank but noticed that right at the top,around where the dial is, shows a bit of condensation on the inside of the tube. This heater was brand new. I then looked a another one of my fairly resent ebo jagers and noticed the same thing.

Does anyone else heaters show a bit of condensation near the top?

Thanks guys!

*whew* I had actually already put the whole thing in and THEN I read the instructions, and panicked!! :lol::rolleyes:

I was reading somewhere it was actually a change of laws in germany - They were no longer allowed to export "Submersible" electrical equipment. I know on TAF2 there was a discussion about the new ebos (in america) no longer saying submersible.

But the quality in ebo's has changed radically over the last 5 years. Used to be they were the best of the best - now I'm not so sure. The new seal at the dial is prone to weeping - and I've lost one tank of fish to a "stuck on" heater condition on the newer model.

Andy

Reguarding "SUBMERSIBLE HEATERS"; The only 'WEEK' point is the electrical chord! The electrical chord could become damaged/protective covering may crack, over time. Thus, the warning.

CSA/UL are the governing agencies that give approvial to any "APPLIANCE" sold in North America. They are the ones who demanded the warning.

The actual heaters, whether Ebo Jager, Tronic, etc. are very well constructed.

I have been using the Ebo Jagers since 1993 and have had one of the "old style" develop moisture inside, after 5 years of use/abuse. Upon disassembling the heater I discovered a crack in the insulating cover on the electrical chord.

True, some of the very early E/J did have a problem with internal condensatiion. A N. A. importer said it we due to the humidity, in the air, when the heaters were manufactured/assembled. Some said the inner seal/outer seal may dry out and develop moisture by-pass.

I have 10 of the new EBO-JAGERS [ The Original JAGER; Now, made by EHEIM ( as it says on the packaging)] and have hade no problems with them.

At the "shop" I run 22 - TRONIC 50 watt heaters. All are fully submersed, and very badly abused. In 3 years only one has failed. It just stopped working. Haven't been able to disassemble it to determine why.

HTH

Smokey

I submerse mine too, nothing strange about it that I've noticed. My thermal heaters are also in up to the cord, thats the only part I leave out of the water, so I can get at the dial without getting wet. I hate getting wet, probably shouldn't keep fish... <_<

Same thing that happened to Andy happened to me just last week. Went to bed everything was fine next afternoon all the fish in one tank cooked. Heater was stuck on on position. Really p off as i only got this heater about a month ago.

Called Jemco and they are sending me a new heater no questions asked.

Larry