what is the smallest pleco species?

MrsFard

k, I have 21 dwarf rasboras, and 7 pygmy cories, and I preformed a little experiment...I took out the two peppered cories and the whiptail catfish.

My reasons were:

-the pygmy cories hide 95% of the time

-the whiptail has been 'depressed' since about the time I switched up the aquariums (from fancy goldfish to tropical), at first I thought he was sick but I don't think he is.

well, the catfish is at my dads back with his double-finned friends and is very active -day and night...which is how he used to be...YAYYY!! the peppered cories are in my shrimp tank...bored by the looks of it...but, the pygmy cories are out and about all over with the rasboras. So something made them more comfy. anyways, now I find myself pleco-less - unacceptable. I want one that will stay relatively 'to-scale' with all my other tiny fish.

Otocinclus is always a good bet. Pitbull plecos stay about 2.5". Both will munch on algae too and won't damage your plants.

I was admiring a pitbull pleco the other day (they're particularily ugly) and are otos sensitive? my bro bought two on friday from BA's and they were dead by morning. I had bought one before and he died too...although there were suspicions of murder. do they like mature H20 or something? I really like them but, I'd preffer not to kill anymore :)

Otocinclus is always a good bet. Pitbull plecos stay about 2.5". Both will munch on algae too and won't damage your plants.

I was admiring a pitbull pleco the other day (they're particularily ugly) and are otos sensitive? my bro bought two on friday from BA's and they were dead by morning. I had bought one before and he died too...although there were suspicions of murder. do they like mature H20 or something? I really like them but, I'd preffer not to kill anymore :)

Bristlenose don't get too big and are fairly hardy. They need some "green" stuff and like driftwood. I haven't lost any except really little guys who were shipped in. Look around here or some of the "used" sites as they can be expensive in the stores. If you're ever near Calgary, I sell them sometimes.

I'd say that otos are no more sensitive and twitchy than the pigmy cories. As long as your water is treated with a conditioner like Prime, you don't have to worry about the 'maturity' of your water. I suspect that a handful of otos would be pretty comfy in a talk with dwarf rasboras and cories... even more comfy if the tank was planted up.

Pitbull plecos may not be the most attractive to most, but I've really come to like the little guys.

Both otos and pitbulls are very social. If you do try one of these types, I'd say get no less than a group of 4 otos or 3 pitbulls. For a 29g, I'd actually start with 5-6 otos.

The otos are extremely passive and may play with your schooling rasboras once in a while. They otherwise like to attach themselves to plants and graze. They max out at about 1.5".

Pitbull plecos are a bit more forward. They don't really pay attention to other fish and do their own thing. They will also hang out in your plants, but they also like to be down on the substrate cleaning your gravel (becuase of this, they sometimes dispace small amounts of gravel). They max out at about 2.5".

I just read somewhere that the pitbulls like to be in groups. and with the pygmies, do you know what their 'normal' behaviour is? and the tank is planted... how big do ottos get?

Pygmy cories are a schooling type of fish, they don't necessarily dig in the sand like other cories.

Many people think that otos are sensitive but this has to do with how they are shipped. Because they are algae eaters, they reach the LFS practically starving. If the LFS doesn't take the time to make sure they are eating well, they often die. Make sure you get ones that have round bellies and make sure your tank has plenty of algae and they should be fine. As well, they prefer tanks planted with live plants.

BN plecos get to around the 5-6" size, clown plecos grow to around 3-4" and are the cutest little things. If you want a fish that will help with algae, ottos are not necessarily the best at it, but they are cute to watch when they play. They do like to be in groups, and can be sensitive to poor water quality, but should do quite well in a planted tank. Bulldog plecos also stay around 3-5", but they are a little on the less cute side. Apparently bulldog plecos can help with spot algae, so this is an advantage you might have over the other plecos.

Just do be clear, pitbull plecos and bulldog plecos are completely different.

Pitbull:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=236

Bulldog:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=407

bulldogs are better looking...i tried to google the grosso thingie and there was no luck, you guys gotta link to that?