Ordering Frontosa from the US

Nyasa

Hi there,

I have just finished set and cycling my 5' 120 gallon tank and I want to stock it with some Frontosa. Not just any frontosa, I want to get one of the Zaire species. (Kapampa, Moba or Kitumba) I'm having a tough time finding any of these locally and am considering ordering some from the US.

Has anybody here done this before? I am considering ordering from TNT cichlids or Mosta Frontosa. They seem to have had a few good reviews from the on-line frontosa community. Any recommendations or experiences would be appreciated.

What are the hidden costs I should be aware of?

I would appreciate any insights before I fork out some big money.

Have you tried Spencer Jack in Winnipeg or Canadian Aquatics in Vancouver. Either of them may be able to order them in for you with their suppliers. Don't recommend ordering directly from the US. The import certificate and shipping will be very high.

Before you do any ordering from wholesalers in the U.S. check them out in every way you can think of. I can tell you that there are a lot of unscrupulous dealers down there who, if you can find one that actually ships anywhere in Canada and not just to Toronto and Montreal, will ship you a close resemblance to what you order but unless you are an expert in identifying frontosas would never know that you didn't get what you ordered. For example the true Mobas are very hard to find yet there are lots of wholesalers who have "mobas".

Kipilis are another common substitution. Subbing F1 or F2's for wild caughts is another one and this is done right at the source in Africa.

The best source for any fish is to talk to someone who has actually received fish and is very satisfied. I was burned not once but twice and I can assure you that both sources were checked out as thoroughly as humanly possibly and I was still ripped off. That's the chance you take when you put the money up and then wait for them to ship.

I didn't know that TNT shipped to Canada (unless I'm thinking of someone else) and have not heard of anyone getting shipments from the other source you mentioned. You have to assume that any wholesalers on cichlid-forum are credible but do your homework after you get the name. It takes sites like this a long time to dump sponsors and retailers after they turn south.

Shipping to Canada is not difficult if the wholesaler has done it before. They have to purchase an export permit on the U.S. end to ship out of their country and many are not prepared to spend the $100 a year if you can believe that. Review the live arrival guarantees and get full and complete answers to any questions. Be at the airport in plenty of time to pick up your box. Open the box with the airline people as witnesses to check the condition of your fish - DO NOT LEAVE THE WAREHOUSE BEFORE YOU DO THAT. Take a camera and take pictures if the fish are stressed out or dead so you can send them to your wholesaler as soon as you get home. You will also have to get the fish cleared through customs but that is just to make ensure they nick you the GST.

I didn't want this to sound like a rant but you have to really do your investigation of the supplier thoroughly. I just can't emphasize that enough after being taken twice myself from reportedly A1 sources.

Like mentioned it is much safer to deal with local suppliers and breeders who are so much easier to check out and verify.

Are you wanting adults, or looking for juvies, or does it matter?

I wouldn't think that the Zaire variants would be that difficult to locate locally. (I know of at least one local breeder)

I'd prefer to go with juvies, but if the price was right I'd consider adults.

I'd be very interested to find any local breeders.

Thanks.

Have you tried Spencer Jack in Winnipeg or Canadian Aquatics in Vancouver. Either of them may be able to order them in for you with their suppliers. Don't recommend ordering directly from the US. The import certificate and shipping will be very high.

I haven't looked at the stock list for Canadian Aquatics in Vancouver. Spencer hasn't had anything I'm interested in lately.

Harold, thanks very much for the detailed information on ordering from the US. If I go this route, I will definitely do my homework in advance. It sounds a little daunting to say the least.

David.

Edited by Nyasa

• 3 months later...

I haven't looked at the stock list for Canadian Aquatics in Vancouver. Spencer hasn't had anything I'm interested in lately.

Harold, thanks very much for the detailed information on ordering from the US. If I go this route, I will definitely do my homework in advance. It sounds a little daunting to say the least.

David.

its been long time i searching quality blue zaire here .but i cant find here..i try to call in the U.S. like aquaticteknology.com ..its been a lot of paper works and you need a brooker .the need a permit ...so i decide to withdraw my order...but if your planning i can join with you ...talk about some people knors and experience that bring fish from the U.S.