Guppy droping dead full grown fry?

Newbettabreeder

The female giving birth is alive and is trying to eat the dead fry in the trap.

I always move the fry soon as they are born, because in those traps they are just that, a trap and the babies often get ate...I have a small tank set up specifically for my guppy fry, as I also read that the adults shed some kind of hormone that stunts fry growth, so I keep my fry in this other tank till they are adult size and then move them, if I happen to have more guppy fry arriving then I will move the bigger ones, but if they are close in age I dont worry about it, give them some plants to hide in and they will do great.

Lisa

I got about 15 fry this drop would have been about 30 but most of them didn't make it when the female dropped them when she gave birth they where 2 big so when they came out they where squished.

I hate to say this but Mother Nature takes over. There may be some defect with the fry and that's why they didn't make it. We all would like to have our fish last forever, not get sick and raise 100% of our spawns but that doesn't happen. It's survival of the fittest out there. Get good quality fish, good environment suited for them and feed them good food and you increase your chances of better spawns. Keep trying!!

The easiest way to breed them is to leave lot's of floating plants in the tank with them. The fry will hide in the plants with lower chances of getting eaten. I probably wouldn't try forcing the babies out of the mother, just leave her be until she gives birth to all of them. Sometimes they will give birth to dead babies, but the healthy ones usually survive. Deformities might just be caused from so much interbreeding in the line. Try adding some salt to the aquarium, I find guppies thrive more with salt in their tank. Also good water quality is very important for raising healthy guppies. Sorry about the losses, and hopefully she will have a more successful spawn next time.

IMO those traps are not so helpful . I found live bearers held on too long waiting until it was safe to drop. In the traps this never happened and so they held way too long . A heavily planted tank made things much better. The moms torpedoed their fry out into the foliage and the babies fended for themselves very well.

The only thing i ever used the trap for was to put the babies i catch into it until they grow bigger and won't get eaten by the parents. The most important thing like Qattarra mentioned is to have floating plants they can easily hide in.

Good luck next time

L

P.S. use a fine mesh net like a brine shrimp net to catch the babies or they might slip out.