Xystichromis Kyoga Flameback "All Red Lake Nawampasa"

tydus

Hey guys, I just wanted to share these pics of my kyoga flamebacks. 1st and 2nd pics were used with a different camera, so please excuse the quality. Not as beautiful as Patrick's, but hey, I like them. :) I got 22 grow outs in a 40 gallon and many are already coloring at 1-1.50 inches. So, please enjoy. Thanks!

kyogaflameback.jpg

kyogaflameback2.jpg

BriansFISH112_edited.jpg

BriansFISH118_edited.jpg

Edited by tydus

Very nice specimens tydus :)

Thanks Patrick. I love these fish and they are my most favorite species of vics to have ever kept. You are one of the reasons why I first started to keep the kyoga flamebacks, since seeing your beautiful male. Your male is probably the best I've seen and I wish I could have some just as nice. And I thank you for being an inspiration. ;)

So cool, saw some at Aquagiant. Was told the ones that are really that bright are the dominate males.

You should grab yourself a group, these fish are amazing! You won't regret it. :D

Very nice specimens tydus :)

Thanks Patrick. I love these fish and they are my most favorite species of vics to have ever kept. You are one of the reasons why I first started to keep the kyoga flamebacks, since seeing your beautiful male. Your male is probably the best I've seen and I wish I could have some just as nice. And I thank you for being an inspiration. ;)

So cool, saw some at Aquagiant. Was told the ones that are really that bright are the dominate males.

You should grab yourself a group, these fish are amazing! You won't regret it. :D

Thanks tydus. I have been told that males that have the red coloration far down their body at young age are the ones that will look the nicest once they mature. The male that you mention did not really have that, but he's been fed NLS :) The offspring that I have now, about 30 or so at 1.5"-1.75" have the red all the way down. I will probably keep a couple of them for myself.

Very nice fish. I have 2 groups of these, 5 males (sorry Patrick) & 8 females. The only time I see all 5 males is just after w/c for about 1/2 a day then they go pale again. Only the largest male stays colored all the time.

That is nice, so many males you have though. If I were near, I would buy them off you. :thumbs: Do you have pics of your group? I am always excited to see victorians.

Very nice fish. I have 2 groups of these, 5 males (sorry Patrick) & 8 females. The only time I see all 5 males is just after w/c for about 1/2 a day then they go pale again. Only the largest male stays colored all the time.

Check early in the morning before the lights come on. All my males are red in the morning.

Thanks tydus. I have been told that males that have the red coloration far down their body at young age are the ones that will look the nicest once they mature. The male that you mention did not really have that, but he's been fed NLS :) The offspring that I have now, about 30 or so at 1.5"-1.75" have the red all the way down. I will probably keep a couple of them for myself.

Thanks for the info Patrick. I will try to see if any of my juvie males exhibit those colors. Right now I feed my juvies NLS grow and they seemed to have grew fast and colored very early than expected. All my fish are exclusively fed NLS as well. Your fish will be absolute beauts and you have so many. I envy you and idolize you. ;) Good luck with your fish and try to get some new pics of your male. I would love to see a recent pic of him again. :)

Check early in the morning before the lights come on. All my males are red in the morning.

I will do that. Even when they go pale I can still pick out the males if they stay still long enough.

The ones at Aquagiant aren't Kyoga flamebacks. They are Pundamilia nyererei. Different fish. I have 4 of them and they are beautiful.

Although yours look an aweful lot like Pundamilia nyererei as well tydus.

Pundamilia nyererei

Boom :boom:

BriansFISH112_edited.jpg

My male "Kyoga Flameback" has a bar that begins from the corner of his lips that runs through his eyes to almost the top of his head. The lower portion of his head is blue not yellow nor red. His lips are blue and not yellow. He has a lateral bar that runs from the beginning of his gills to his peduncle which breaks into pieces and resembles bars which are not evident like the "Nyererei" species but are faint. The lower flanks of my male "KF" are yellow and turns into lime-green ending at the peduncle and his anal fins are whitish blue and becomes red towards the perimeter. His dorsal fin is red running all the way until the end where it becomes bluish and his caudal fin is red broken up by blue streaks but is red around the perimeter of the fin and his pelvic fins are black. My "Kyoga Flamebacks" are very docile fish. Sometimes my male flares to the my juvenile male nyererei in the tank but only because of the similarity of colors they share. He does not bully the tank mates and only do so when breeding (chasing fish around to get them out of the way). I have done a lot of studying on these fish and have observed mine thoroughly. I do see why you are very peculiar of my fish as my "KF" probably shows his faint vertical bars that resembles a nyererei. But from what I've seen, not all these fish are created equal and not all of them will have the same exact markings. What matters is that it must carry the qualities used to decipher it from the rest of the similar fish or families. And I know that there are many victorians out there that are so similar that getting a positive identification is almost impossible.

Here is my pundamilia nyererei "ruti island"

BriansPhotos027.jpg

BriansPhotos019.jpg

BriansPhotos022.jpg

BriansPhotos035.jpg

BriansPhotos018.jpg

Edited by tydus