ac 200 capacity

johnsmith

Personally, I would go with more, as I alwys try to overfilter my tanks. Leaves more room for error with ammonia spikes and such.

How about adding a good sponge filter?

I've never used sponge filters b/f, I always thought they were mainly for fry tanks. That's a good option though.

Right now I have an AC 500 and I think it might be blowing my angelfish around. Either that or it's just weak (& dying?). He isn't getting blown around like a leaf in the wind, it just doesn't seem to be swimming around gracefully like I would have expected.

I was wondering if I should put the AC 200 on there instead. Maybe that with a good sponge filter would be a good idea.

it is rated for 50 gallons

Wow, I got it used so I didn't realize that. I'll keep an eye on the angel for now, but at least I know it's a possibility.

Thanks everyone. If I go that route I'd probably add a sponge filter to be safe, then I'd have one ready for qt or fry tank instead of using an AC.

If I recall... at the lowest setting, an AC water flow is cut down by about 1/3 its maximum flow rate. Since you'll be putting media into the filter, that would slow down the flow even more. So with that in mind, an AC500 on a 33gallon tank turned all the way down would give you very nice biofiltration (due to the bigger media capacity) and won't throw your angelfish around.

-Rich