New Mbuna setup

Slew

Hi

I'm looking for some feedback on my new 75 gallon tank setup. It is going to house some Mbuna fish. Do I need a lot more rocks? What are some thoughts on having a school of giant danios to go with the Cichlids.

THAT BACKGROUND IS VERY NICE

I agree with Boom! I have a 75 gallon and I had a few pieces of driftwood in there and one by one I took the pieces out and traded them all off. Now I have nothing but a bunch of rocks in there. I'd recommend making some piles in the tank for the mbuna to swim through and hide within. Your background is so nice it's a lot to work off of for making those caves...I'd stack other rocks against it, you could have a lot of caves and passages for them.

When I'm back home tomorrow I will take a picture of what I have going on right now and post it on this thread.

A great example of a very natural mbuna set up.

125-mbuna.jpg

I definitely like that tank setup. Those rocks are stacked very high. Is that too much pressure to have leaning on the back glass? Is it possible to built a shelf to stack the rocks on? Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think Elec. yellows and acei are a great combo and would look nice togethr in that tank.

I'm not 100% sure I like the setup the way you have it. The flat sharp edged rocks on the background really contrast the smooth round rocks you chose for the stacks. Also, the caves and such are kinda small, once the acei and labs get bigger they will need bigger caves.

Just my 2 cents. I do really like the variable sized substrate tho,. That looks very natural.

Boom :boom:

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow's and acei aren't that aggressive, so I don't think that you'll need as many rocks as most mbuna setups. I've found using the rounded rocks like you have and then placing flat slate on top creates a cave system below that the mbuna LOVE! And it's easy to take the slate off the top when you need to clean or catch fish.