5 gallon stocking/possible betta companions

MrsFard

Howdy! I am thinking of doing a 5 gallon betta tank but I am not 100% sure. what else could I put in there with a male betta, if anything? or what other colorful fish are there? bottomfeeders? what about dwarf frogs? is there enough room for some with or without the betta? its for my desk so the more character the critters have the better :)

It all depends on your bettas temperament. Most males I have had don't do well with other fish in smaller tanks. I even have to remove my betta from my 33 gal because he likes to chase my GBR's. I probably wouldn't recommend anything, but if you keep some plants for hiding you might get away with a small school of smaller fish, ones that are at least too fast for the betta to catch.

I never had any luck keeping other fish with my bettas in a 5g. It worked in my 20g but not in the small 5gallons.

I did have success keeping bettas with shrimp. Amanos or larger cherry shrimp work great. But again, it depends on the individual betta. Some might eat the shrimp, or constantly attack them if they are too large to eat.

Zebra snails are also a good clean up crew in a betta tank.

You would probably be safer to have a few female bettas. The can be very colourful but they can be hard to find. You need to make sure that they all are about the same size or there could be aggression issues. There might be some nipping at the start but once things settle down there should be no problems. Keep some melafix on hand for the first little while.

Good luck.

L

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering. I had eight pygmy cories and I didn't see them for like two weeks (amzing hiders :) but, I did a major cleaning of the tank and there are only three left. I only have small community fish. but I was wondering if it was my sound system'cause they are in my living room. anyways, Iwas wondering if I could move the survivors into the frog tank. they're full grown. I really like this fish and I hate that they keep dieing :( and are unhappy.

as for feeding, I am wondering if I could culture those flour beetles for food for them. (this thread is turning into a frog FAQ :rolleyes:) )

Edited by violet c

Many small community fish go well with bettas depending on how agressive the betta is. I had a ten gallon tank with a male betta in it with a few guppys a few neon tetras and some goldfish as well but I tried to do that again recently with another male betta and he picked the goldfish tails apart

Well, considering my dwarf frog I had ended up trying to eat one of my otocinclus......let's just say he got his head actually stuck in his mouth and I had to carefully remove him......pygmy cories might even be tried for a snack with the frogs. But depending on the size of the cories, it might just work :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, considering my dwarf frog I had ended up trying to eat one of my otocinclus......let's just say he got his head actually stuck in his mouth and I had to carefully remove him......pygmy cories might even be tried for a snack with the frogs. But depending on the size of the cories, it might just work :)

ok, I couldn't be more annoyed! :chair: I bought 3 fat little frogs and they are dead and I bought them feb.28th. :( and the almost-funny part is the pygmies are doing great! I haven't done much different with the water (I even went through the trouble of building them a moss wall! ...by sewing Christmas moss onto those plastic grids with plastic string- 2hours later....), but the one was barely getting to the surface yesturday...totally wierd. I think they might have starved to death? now that I think about it i don't remember them eating. I put the freeze-dried blood worms right in front of them (i just figured I was scary), and I was also putting flakes in there just in case. little bits 2x a day. i don't know what else it could be. :cry: