Gathering thoughts

Koffy

Hello. My gf is wanting some plants with her betta's.

I know this is possible. Just want to know what needs

to be done in prep for this. Im in the midst of getting some

3 gal tanks cycled. Any pointers??

I added a small piece of drifwood and attached a bit of windowslov (sp) java fern looks good and only grows to 4 or 5" or so. and it will, over time, occupy the whole bottom in a 3 gal.

You can but don't have to cycle the tank for a betta ....I do a 90% water change (treated and heated to 25C) once a week. There is no other filtration just a heather and a light on a timer.

Hope this helps.

J

Hello. My gf is wanting some plants with her betta's.

I know this is possible. Just want to know what needs

to be done in prep for this. Im in the midst of getting some

3 gal tanks cycled. Any pointers??

I added a small piece of drifwood and attached a bit of windowslov (sp) java fern looks good and only grows to 4 or 5" or so. and it will, over time, occupy the whole bottom in a 3 gal.

You can but don't have to cycle the tank for a betta ....I do a 90% water change (treated and heated to 25C) once a week. There is no other filtration just a heather and a light on a timer.

Hope this helps.

J

Thanks. and i know you dont need to cycle the tank. but i spoil my fish alot

Well, you'll need some kind of small gravel (or specialty plant substrate if you're going to get fancy) to put the plants into. There are some species that don't root in the gravel, so you might want some wood or rocks to tie them to.

And you'll need light, of course. How much light you have will determine what kind of plants you can grow in there. With low light tanks you shouldn't need to bother much with fertilizing, CO2 addition, or such. Unless you get hooked on plants....

Well, you'll need some kind of small gravel (or specialty plant substrate if you're going to get fancy) to put the plants into. There are some species that don't root in the gravel, so you might want some wood or rocks to tie them to.

And you'll need light, of course. How much light you have will determine what kind of plants you can grow in there. With low light tanks you shouldn't need to bother much with fertilizing, CO2 addition, or such. Unless you get hooked on plants....

Like i said. it's my gf's interest. im just the middle man. I will most likely be asking more questions eventually.

Right now im just gathering info. That and she still hasnt made up her mind....

Betta's thrive with plants...

Not only that, the tank looks so much better with plants more natural... I am not a plant expert... betta's are my thing..

Live plants are better as well for the betta's the other plastic stuff not only looks tacky but they tend to rip betta's fins... not good stuff for such pretty creatures...

Not only that, you can be your aquadic gardener.. designing your tank to what you like... it's fun!! :thumbs:

Hi there.

I always suggest hygrophilla to start. It grows like crazy, and in no time you will be able to propagate it just by cutting the stems and planting them. I've had that variety for a long time and it rarely gets algae issues and can handle any light. It even grew just fine for me under an incandescent bulb. Which come to my next point, healthy plants need fluorescent lighting. Other low light varieties are java fern and anubias which are nice plants but will grow slower. Try not to buy them from a store, they are super expensive. Throw a shout out to members to see if they have some they are willing to spare or sell.

i would go with windelov java fern and some java moss. probably flame moss. and some cryptocoryne wendtii, or other types of cryptocorynes. maybe some riccia instead of the cryptocoryne and small natural gravel. like 1/8th inch size gravel. if you will have some good lighting you could also go with pogostemon helfri.