Tank repair with fish and water still in the tank?

Boom

2 of my tanks (the 10 and 33 gallon) both have slight leakage happening from the top trim. I'm assuming that the silocone has just let go a bit.

Is this possible to repair if I drain the tank half way and just re-silicone the top trim area, while the fish are still in the tank. Or will the odor of the silicone be harmful?

I would leave it for a godd 48 hrs before re-filling the tank.

Can that be done?

Boom :boom:

You can do it, but it might not the best. Trying to match up the factory silicone job is difficult and atleast alittle bit dangerous.

My advice is to transfer your fish and filters into a rubbermaid container and drain the tank. Then fix the entire tank properly.

Well said. I would never try to silicone a tank while the fish and water are still in it. Much easier to do it the right way

Ok some real mixed opinions now.

I don't need to "fix the entire tank properly", just a quick patch job on the top trim is all I'm looking to do. I'd imagine that because the silicone there isn't always submerged it's probably dried out a bit. The rest of the silicone in the tank is fine.

Why do I need to try to match the factory silicone job. Again, just looking for a quick patch.

Any other thoughts on this? Have people actually done it or are dark angle and geleen just guessing that it would be ok?

I don't need to "fix the entire tank properly", just a quick patch job on the top trim is all I'm looking to do. I'd imagine that because the silicone there isn't always submerged it's probably dried out a bit. The rest of the silicone in the tank is fine.

Why do I need to try to match the factory silicone job. Again, just looking for a quick patch.

Any other thoughts on this? Have people actually done it or are dark angle and geleen just guessing that it would be ok?

Speaking from experience.. did a 4" piece..no problem, some old silicone even dropped into the tank when I removed the old.....I fished most of it out. Does not look professional as I did not tape the seam but is still sealed after 1 year.

John

I did the exact thing you are talking about 3 weeks ago. Top trim was leaking on a 33 gallon , the silicone was barely holding it on so I just popped it off drained half of the water out and siliconed it back in place. I waited 3 days (just to be sure) then refilled. Had no problems whatsoever.

I fixed the top trim on my 72gal 2 years ago, All I did was drain enough water so I could get in there with the tube of silicone and still no leak. If you look close at a brand new tank, the top trim is barely even atached. All they do is run silicone along the very top edge of the glass and stick the trim on. The only way you get a good job on a tank is if you have it custom built.

I've never attempted this but for what its worth my opinion is that if its just a small patch job and the silicon is aquarium safe I think I'd try just draining some of the water.

Maybe later on, down the road, when you start to notice that your having problems with other silicon areas of the tank redo it all with some fresh beads.

I think everything will be fine but I'll still be interested to know what happens.

Last night I drained half the tank, removed the top trim, scraped all the old silicone and other crap off with a razor blade, being carful not to let it go in the tank.

Then I put a new bead of silicone on top of the glass edge, stuck the black trim back on, put another bead of silicone along the trim on the inside, and it has now been drying for about 20 hrs. Later tonight I'll fill the tank back up and see if I have any leaks again.

I'll monitor the fish closely for any signs of ill effects too.