WTF??? 3 bettas died in 5 days?

Erin

Ok the first one was frasier, but he was old so I understand... I had gotten a replacement Sat, by tuesay it was dead, no reason to, water was fine, no fugus nothing. So I brought it back and exchanged it for another. This one did get fugus, but it was over night! I don't get it! it was fine swimming everything was ok I wake up its hardly moving and coved in fungus!

Both of these where healthy in the store. I got them from PJs in londonderry. I had them in a heated 2 gallon tank with an air stone. They had fine gravel and a java fern. I fed them once a day with top fin betta bits. I used prime waster conditioner.

What the heck is going on??? Am I doing something wrong??? Both my other bettas that are in smaller containers with out heat and an air stone are fine. I'm puzzled as to why they keep dieing. :unsure:

When I go in to bring it back because its still under the seven days I'm going to see if I can just exchange it for something else. Cause this is DUMB! I'll hold off on a new betta untill I know whats going on.

Edited by Erin

Your tank might be to warm for them, and they don't care for a lot of water movement. Those are the only things I can think of, as for the fungus, it probably grew faster while in your home due to the warmer water. He was probably sick before you got him.

I have purchased Betta's from Londondary PJ's and they were fine... just really watch them, some of them are not in good shape, my guess is from being in those damn cups side by side other males....

but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

I would do a good water change, and treat that water because you will not want the new fish obtaining that "fungus"

Sorry for your loss!

Erin, Firstly most Betta's at large retail chain stores are more likely not healthy to begin with.. IMO... There are only a few places I would purchase a betta from...

I don't think or feel your doing anything wrong per say... they probably looked okay in the store but ill.. you can always tell a healthy betta this is the trick I use...

Put him near a new neighbor, does he flare?? Is there a possible bubble nest... ??? are his fins pinched and does he lay at the bottom of the container or swim vertically at the top just dangling there?

I look for fins that look like someone too a bit out of them.. white edges. on fins.. Grains of Salt like crystals on the body...

Here is my betta check list:

A Healthy betta is an active one period...

Put your finger tip on the jar... move it back and forth does the betta follow it, and when you press the tip of the finger on the container does he move.. does he flare at your finger... if he pays attention to the finger.. starts to flare his fins... and if there are signs of a bubble nest.. he is probably healthy.. its not a perfect method but chances are he isn't super ill... if he is even ill ..

NEVER buy a BETTA IN BLUE WATER... the water is Blue for a reason... the betta is in a treatment water, water conditioner to prevent illness.. either it was ill or some of them were ill and they are preventing it to spread etc.. you get the drift... and you don't know if they even cleaned that water from when they were shipped in...

Hopefully this helps Erin.. so sorry for your loss..

Totally agree with Black Mumba. When fish shopping, I do not buy if I see any signs of illness in ANY of their fish. If I have too many losses from a pet store, I don't shop for fish there again. As for the blue water, it's like they're waiting for the fish to get sick!! If you start off with a good quality fish and give it a good environment, there's less chance of diseases and such. Okay now, I'll get off my soapbox!!

Meh I brought it back and this time I just got a shrimp that I need for my bigger tanks.. I think I'll hold out till I see one from Mumba that I like... cause this is getting a little nutty. Right now I'l going to see if I can grow out the Java thats in there until I find a better betta lol to put in there. I'm going to use Excel and some ferts and see whats happens, maybe it'll grow and not just have babies.