How long does it take for CO2 to come out of a DIY co2.

Tarolisol

How long does it take for CO2 to come out of a DIY co2.

Usually it is almost immediately, but one must keep in mind the type of diffuser you use may need more pressure than you are producing. What type of DIY unit have you made? and what type of diffuser are you using airstone etc.?

Rudy

Mine usually takes a couple hours to start producing enough that bubbles are coming out on a regular basis.

The temp of the room will also affect how fast your DIY produces. In the winter, as my tank is in the basement, my DIY was barely producing anything. The mix was too cold. I now put the bottle on top of my lights so they keep the mix nice and warm.

Check out the bottom link (if you haven't done so already..), very good explanation of the reactions going on for producing CO2.

Treatise on DIY CO2

When I was doing DIY, it took quite some time ( > an hour) for the bubbles to come out of the powerhead..I also found that the airline tubing got clogged with yeast mixture over time...(but maybe that was because I was squeezing the bottle to get the gas into the tank..)

I did it based off that website, Im thinking my yeast has gone bad because its been lalmost 24hrs and nothing. Its 3 pop bottles and the diffuser is a little power head.

To test if your yeast is alive, put a little bit in a cup of warm(not too hot, just slightly warm) water with a bit of sugar. If the yeast is alive, in about 15mins it should be all foamy and bubbly.

Ill check my yeast, I dont think there would be a leak, if you check out my 90g tank journal theres a picture of it. Its all push fittings and bulk heads.

I saw your picture of the DIY in your 90G journal. There are a lot of junctions, so more chances of leaks. Check this out, and see if you can do this. I did the connection by drilling a hole and didnot use any bulkheads and silicone and I was getting CO2 within an hour..

Connection without bulkheads and silicone

Are you using a check valve in the tubing? Make sure it is installed the correct way :) Hot water will kill yeast, recommended temperature is 100-110 (40 C).

How do I proof yeast to test for activity?

To proof yeast, add 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F). Stir in 1 envelope yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons); let stand 10 minutes. If the yeast foams to the 1/2 cup mark, it is active and you may use it in your recipe.

Ideal temperature ranges are 100°F-110°F, when yeast is dissolved directly in water; 120°F-130°F when undissolved yeast is added to dry ingredients.

Edited by byte

I'd also suggest to the leaking. I had the same problem. Just head down to a home depo or such and grab a tube of silicon and put it at around the tubing ie tops of the pop bottles inside and out. I'd first take one out and put it in a bunch of water. if it leave you'll see it bubble there (place the whole bottle under the water). for me the silicon work wonderful.