Betta in community tank?

robin

Had a leak in the 10 gal, so put the cory's and little clown pleco back in my 45 gal. The betta I put in a 1 gal vase for now, can I put him in the 45 gal? It is pretty heavily stocked with Killi's, GBR, Bolivian rams, loaches, now 2 cory's, congo tetra's, glass catfish, pleco, 2 angels.........would the betta max out?

Had a leak in the 10 gal, so put the cory's and little clown pleco back in my 45 gal. The betta I put in a 1 gal vase for now, can I put him in the 45 gal? It is pretty heavily stocked with Killi's, GBR, Bolivian rams, loaches, now 2 cory's, congo tetra's, glass catfish, pleco, 2 angels.........would the betta max out?

You have the vase, put him in.. when you have time to watch.. see how it goes.. if the other fish leave him alone he will be fine.. if they are nippers and get into his face he isn't going to like it... but make sure you around ya never know...

:thumbs:

Edited by BlackMumba

I would advise keeping him in the vase. So many things can happen to them in a community tank. The Congo tetras will most likely shred his fins... mine did. Also, depending on what you feed your community tank, the betta may bloat. Certain foods meant for other fish can cause this (ex. tetra color bits). On the other hand, he may take after the Congos... If you do decide to try it, please take Black Mumbas advice as she is one of the local experts when it comes to Bettas...

Now if you are looking for unintentional ways to kill a betta... I am a pro at that! :boxed:

Tammy :blush:

You can always try it. It depends on the temperment of the Betta as well as the other fish. I have one in my community tank with congo tetras (and other tetras) with no problems. The angelfish might be an issue, but I'd worry more about the Betta going after their fins then the other way around.

I had one in my peaceful community of danios and small non-nippy tetras. But with your stock list I think there will be problems, especially with the rams, congos, and angels. I find that if he is the "boss" fish that no one messes with and if everyone else is quicker than he is, there is no problems.

You can try, but watch carefully for a couple hours at least, and check in every few minutes for the next day or two. I don't think it will hurt for him to sit in the vase for a couple days - if all else fails I have kept them in those plastic "critter keepers" with no problems, I have seen sizes that range from .5g to 10g. I believe even walmart sells them cheaply or they can be found in the reptile, small rodent section of a pet store.

Best of Luck!

I had one in my peaceful community of danios and small non-nippy tetras. But with your stock list I think there will be problems, especially with the rams, congos, and angels. I find that if he is the "boss" fish that no one messes with and if everyone else is quicker than he is, there is no problems.

You can try, but watch carefully for a couple hours at least, and check in every few minutes for the next day or two. I don't think it will hurt for him to sit in the vase for a couple days - if all else fails I have kept them in those plastic "critter keepers" with no problems, I have seen sizes that range from .5g to 10g. I believe even walmart sells them cheaply or they can be found in the reptile, small rodent section of a pet store.

Best of Luck!

Don't do it, the cichlids, tetras and loaches will shread him to pieces. The bowl is perfectly fine.

Guest Master of Puppets

Best of Luck!

Don't do it, the cichlids, tetras and loaches will shread him to pieces. The bowl is perfectly fine.

A bowl is fine? No it's not especially with no filtration.

Actually a betta in a bowl is perfectly fine... they do not require oxygen.. the only thing they would require is regular water changes more so then a filtered tank... :thumbs:

A bowl or other like vase etc.. lots of room and water temp of 25degrees room temp is perfect for betta's ...

I have bettas in all of my community tanks and 3 of the tanks have angelfish with no problems. My only concern in a community tank would be any fin nippers. I also keep jarred bettas too who are fine at room tempurature with regular water changes. I do find young plakat females get along and are quite pretty in a small tank.

Even if you have never done it before, Re-sealing a 10 gal tank will only take at most 2 to 3 hours if you really dog it. After the silicone cures for 24 to 48 hrs, thats max 2 days the boy will be in the vase. Leave him in there for his own safety and get on the tank.

thanks guys! he is quite happy in a Huge 2 gal vase in the middle of my dining room table for now. I am not much of a fish catcher...so decided not to test him in my big tank......in case i needed to get him out!

thanks guys! he is quite happy in a Huge 2 gal vase in the middle of my dining room table for now. I am not much of a fish catcher...so decided not to test him in my big tank......in case i needed to get him out!

I have the same problem only The BETTA IS IN MY CICHLID TANK. I bought a betta barracks that sticks inside the tank against the glass with dividers for the fish and my brilliant female betta jumped out into the main tank. I can't catch her but she's been in there for the last two weeks and hasn't been fin nipped or starved of food or anything. phew.

Good luck with your Betta. I'm sure he'll be perfectly fin in the vase for a week or two if nessasary as long as you do frequent water changes

L

:thumbs: