Another ick problem

JohnRosario

Hi Guys and Gals

A couple of my guppies and angel fish have developed ich. I have a 50gal heavily planted tank. My tank is normally kept at 81F but I have raised the temp to 86F. I’m currently raising Discus, Guppies and Angel fish, I know a really strange mix. I have evacuated all the fish that have shown symptoms to a hospital tank. I’m not too sure if that will make a difference. I have read a few posts regarding the treatment of ich. Most people recommend increasing the temp and adding salt. I have increased the temp in both my main tank and my hospital tank. How much salt and what type should I add? How long do I keep on adding salt for? Will the salt negatively affect my plants? Do I need to change water during the treatment? If so, how much and how often? Is there something more effective then heat and salt? Should I place the fish that I have in my hospital tank back into my main tank? Is it more then likely that my fish in my main tank have ich too? After the ich has past, how much water should I change in my main tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

You will need to treat both tanks now that you have moved your fish..

There is medication for getting rid of (ich).... google it and you will see the exact treatment length etc. The usual treatment is to raise the temperature to around 85 and add the medication as directed for about 10 days..with regular water changes.

The ich was probably brought on by stress in your tank.... the fish you keep together are not compatable /

add the recommended salt dosage and then you only need to add salt to the water you change. the salt won't go away unless you change the water. i add the recommended salt to my planted tanks with no side effects

add the recommended salt dosage and then you only need to add salt to the water you change. the salt won't go away unless you change the water. i add the recommended salt to my planted tanks with no side effects

What is the recommended salt dosage?

Hi Guys and Gals

A couple of my guppies and angel fish have developed ich. I have a 50gal heavily planted tank. My tank is normally kept at 81F but I have raised the temp to 86F. I’m currently raising Discus, Guppies and Angel fish, I know a really strange mix. I have evacuated all the fish that have shown symptoms to a hospital tank. I’m not too sure if that will make a difference. I have read a few posts regarding the treatment of ich. Most people recommend increasing the temp and adding salt. I have increased the temp in both my main tank and my hospital tank. How much salt and what type should I add? How long do I keep on adding salt for? Will the salt negatively affect my plants? Do I need to change water during the treatment? If so, how much and how often? Is there something more effective then heat and salt? Should I place the fish that I have in my hospital tank back into my main tank? Is it more then likely that my fish in my main tank have ich too? After the ich has past, how much water should I change in my main tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

I have had good luck with a med called Nox and also with Metronidazole (made by Seachem) with more sensitive fish. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

High heat and medication is harmful to plants, including month long salt treatments, which is what is going to be required to effectively remove all the ich from the tank. Hydro vac the gravel twice a week removing about 50% of the water and add the salt need for that 50% water change back in the tank after the change. Consider not housing those three types of fish together, because all three flurish best in extremely different types of water conditions then each other.