Algae Cleaning

hey everyone..

So i got a 55gallon tank and there is algae growing everywhere! i tried to scrap it off with the algae glove and with a magnetic cleaner but it's on there pretty good.. I bought a couple plecos so i hope that helps.. Do you all have any suggestions??

Thanks

hey everyone..

... and with a magnetic cleaner...

Try sticking your hand in the water and using just half of the magnetic cleaner. You can apply more pressure to the cleaner part this way.

I use those razorblades with handles. meant to clean those glass stoves, but work awesome on that hard algae. I buy mine at fields for $1, though they are found most often at $3-8 in most hardware places in the stove cleaning section.

gotta love pleccos, razor blades and the all powerful spinbrush. Now how to get algae out from under the silicone. Gah not another resealing job.

Good luck. Razor blades are amazing.

L

I got one of those Blades that scrapes paint of the glass.. WORKS GREAT!!!!

everytime i buy pleco's they die within a day or 2

anyone know why my algae is growing so fast and much??

i regular change water

i have 2 tanks but my other tank doesn't have this problem...

Algae is a sign of high nitrates and phosphates in the water. Increased water changes and some plants would help.

You said that every time you get a plecco it dies within 2 days. Do you supplement the diet of the plecco with algae wafers? One other thing algae usually needs is lots of light. You might be able to kill of that hard strain of algae by doing a complete blackout for a few days. I think there are a few threads on this technique allready.

Good luck

L

P.S. there is also the Algae screen which was just mentioned in a thread resently. You can find that link in my journal entry.