AC versus the rest

vantgE

Aquaclear

gph100/20gallons gph150/30gallons gph200/50gallons gph300/100gallons gph500/150gallons

For a starter, you have to keep in mind that these GPH ratings are based on filters containing zero media. The more media you cram in them, and the dirtier the media gets, the lower the gph becomes.

AC 300 for a 100 gallon tank ..... not in this lifetime. An AC 500 for a 150, not likely, unless you only have a handfull of 4 inch fish.

I've never considered my tank to be 'over filtered', just properly filtered for the amount of fish, and species I keep in it.

True if i wanted to stretch it I'd use a 500 on a 100gallon max but the other manufacturers are most likely equally guilty, and if a tank is overstocked it is overstocked and filtration isn't going to make up for it much watter changes could but there is no sense relying on extra filtration for a poorly stocked tank

FYI - all manufacturers rate the GPH of their filters based on 'empty' media baskets.

For myself the decision to use 2 AC 500's vs. 2 AC 300's was the increased bio media capacity, the increased gph turnover, as well as less maintenance required due to the oversized filters for my tank.

On a 4 ft tank, I would never consider only one HOB filter, due to the dead spots created in the other 60% of the tank. I've never once regretted my decision.

Keep in mind this is on an Mbuna tank, where the current from these filters (even on a 55) is chlids play, even for tiny juvies.

More filtration = More bacteria = can handle a heavier bio load!!!!!!!!!!

still if you have filtration for 100 hundred gallons of watter you stick that on a ten gallon you can't keep a hundred inches of fish in it

Note that is highly exagerated and simplified obviously the inchpergallonrule does not apply mostly but I have a point

I ran a fluval 403 on my 90gallon mbuna for several months and had no problems I see a filtration as a means of copeing between watter changes and I did so weekly with no problems, now i have a ac 200 on for little reason and have noticed no difference, I do however plan to upgrade by adding a ac500 or 110 if their around and will stop there and in proportion this still will remain absolutely little compared to what you filter proportionately. I have no problems, my fish have no problems, why spend the extra money

I calculated filtration efficiency useing numbers from the bigal's catalogue which i believe to correspond to what is presented by the respective companies on the box, and not just through gph, these are no0t my recomendations they are the manufacturers

Anyone know if the new ones are any different or just a different color plastic?

Edited by vantgE

I've used AC's forever. I have one that is probably just about considered an antique, I believe it's the 610, and is still running fine (the media is side by side rather than stacked), though the flow rate is a little less than it used to be. I've never replaced the impeller on this, or any of my AC's. I also have an AC300 that's be in use for over 10 years by myself, and who knows how long before that (bought used). The only problem that I have with AC's, as many have mentioned, is the lack of self-priming.

I did know a guy years ago though who swore by the whispers b/c he said they self-primed every single time, never a problem with them.

I use AC's on every single tank, and also have Eheim canisters on the larger ones. Using just a sponge as a prefilter I've gone over a year between cleanings on my canisters with little noticeable output decrease, and there are plants in all my tanks (crypts and vals). Without using a prefilter, the cleaning must be much more frequent (~4 months).

On almost all my tanks 20 gallons and up I run two filters, and feel that the redundency gives me some piece of mind if something were to ever happen to one of them. I've never had an Eheim that didn't self prime, so my main show/breeding tanks have them, and I know if the power were to go out and come back on at least they'd be running ok.

All I use for media in the AC's is the sponges, though I have been trying the new ceramic things on top of the sponges. All the carbon and ammonia remover I find useless; I haven't bought any in years and have never had an issue.

Just my two cents.

Keep in mind that these "up to X gal aquarium" are based on European standards where they generally have a smaller "bioload". IIRC, their turnover rate is based on 3-4x.

I agree it is confusing, but from what is the norm here in Can/US, a min 5x turnover rate is recommended. IMHO, factor in how many fish, size, how often/what you feed and your maintenance regimin will help determine what filter is best for you.

JM2C

Wilson