Red Jewel Wigglers!! UPDATE

Mmamnstr

So looking into my tank, there has been my big male and a new female hiding in the corner alot, sure enough, got me some wee ones..thought they were monogamous breeders..?.. very odd since his original female is in the tank too. Anyways, wondering what the typical spawn # is with them, @ what point should I siphon then into a non community tank/fry tank. Holy difference between mouth breeder fry size and egg layers!

Thank-ya

Edited by Mmamnstr

Maybe they formed a new pair for some reason. You could probably leave the fry in there...I see your tank is all Jewels and Labs I'll bet the Jewel parents will be able to fend off threats in that tank...Jewels make great parents (the father is actively involved). If you want to move them out regardless of that, you can do it after a week or two but I'd recommend leaving a few fry in the tank so the parents won't get stressed out. I removed all the fry the first time my Jewels bred and the female lost all her colour for about a month and she wouldn't eat.

I can't remember where i read it but the Jewels are supposed to have batches of 200 to 500 fry a shot. Don't be suprised if a bunch of them just spontaneously die for no apparent reason. I'm not sure why this happens to me but the only thing i can think of is they were just too weak to survive so they just died (SIDS) Sad but it happens.

Congratulations on the fry.

I concur with what roypark05 said too.

L

I can't remember where i read it but the Jewels are supposed to have batches of 200 to 500 fry a shot. Don't be suprised if a bunch of them just spontaneously die for no apparent reason. I'm not sure why this happens to me but the only thing i can think of is they were just too weak to survive so they just died (SIDS) Sad but it happens.

L

Hey Ishkabod, it is the male I got from you, for some reason he re-paired up with a new female but defiantly a good daddy! now that they have started swimming easily 30 are there...sooo excited!

• 2 weeks later...

L

Hey Ishkabod, it is the male I got from you, for some reason he re-paired up with a new female but defiantly a good daddy! now that they have started swimming easily 30 are there...sooo excited!

So only had 4 babies left and they passed too...My male is now back with his first mate, they re-paired up after taking the first females fry out of the tank...I have the biggest slut or what???? Eggs all over again, the original 2 (Ishkabods) are now guarding the area and I am awaiting new babies...Again.

Edited by Mmamnstr

while checking out my tank on the weekend i seen my red jewels laid eggs as well. they were on a piece of drift wood. i took the eggs off the drift wood by hand (i wasn't sure if that would work or not) i have never had cichlids before. i put them into a 2 1/2 gallon tank with a sponge filter and heater and some methylene blue. probably half of the eggs have hatched now. not sure what i am going to do with them if they live. i just got these guys less than two weeks ago.