Figure 8 Puffer, MTS, Planted Tank, Sand

Gnaw

Well once again I'm back on the puffer-bandwagon. After heading to BA's on Friday - I'm once again considering a puffer fish. Although not one as big as a Mbu this time. :smokey:

I have been thinking of a small planted tank with a sand substrate. Having only a single figure-8 puffer as its only fish occupant.

Having this setup in mind: I know if could easily turn the sand myself to avoid the potential hazards of having it cause problems, or I could have some Malayan Trumpet Snails.

From what I've read and understood they are mostly nocturnal and can easily reproduce and overrun a tank. Could these be used as part of meal-plan and kept in check with this type of puffer?

I had read a few threads around the net with some conflicting statements. Some people stated that the shell of an MTS is too hard for a puffer and it won't keep them in check and they will over-run your tank unless you have loaches etc.

The tank is already small enough and I don't want any other fish in. Comments? suggestions? questions?

Maybe Fatpuffer would be so kind as to visit this thread. ;)

I'm not sure if a Figure-8 is purely freshwater - they are often recommeded for Brackish tanks. If you want to add some salt, Java fern, Anubias and Valisneria should do OK.

Fig 8 are low brackish (max of 1.005 sg) and they will require snails. I believe that baby MTS are okay but the bigger ones do get a bit hard and may break their beak. Shell on shrimps will do the trick though in my experience Figure 8 puffers are not as bad as say C. assellus with beak growth.

Js

I'm not sure if a Figure-8 is purely freshwater - they are often recommeded for Brackish tanks. If you want to add some salt, Java fern, Anubias and Valisneria should do OK.

This seems to be a topic that usually surfaces as an area of debate amongst puffers. From my research, I've gathered that since these puffers derive from the freshwaters of the Southeast Asia region they do better in freshwater but can tolerate brackish or even full saltwater aquariums.

Fig 8 are low brackish (max of 1.005 sg) and they will require snails. I believe that baby MTS are okay but the bigger ones do get a bit hard and may break their beak. Shell on shrimps will do the trick though in my experience Figure 8 puffers are not as bad as say C. assellus with beak growth.

Js

Thanks for stopping by.

So, you've kept these type of puffers before?

Do you think it can keep them in check? or will they over-run? or maybe I just have to experiment and see?

I was thinking of start out with the smallest one I could find from the bunch and see how he does.

Go with the ramshorn...they will definately be better than the MTS. Re: Figure 8 puffer, Robert T. Ricketts (sp?) experimented with the longevity of the puffer in different salinity. He had figure eights living to its teens in low brackish. It was more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infection in freshwater.

Jonah

As always, your most helpful JS.

I'll see if I can swing by BA's and get a pic so you can determine if it is indeed a F8P. In the mean-time I need to figure out where to find some snails.

90 gallon is one of those tanks where it's too small for some puffers, yet too big for a lone puffer. I say a school of brazilian puffers i.e. c. asellus would look nice. If you want a solitary puffer, a nice fahaka in a 125 gallon would fit the bill. Check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php...be1e65f1e59c3a2 for more ideas.

Js

90 gallon is one of those tanks where it's too small for some puffers, yet too big for a lone puffer. I say a school of brazilian puffers i.e. c. asellus would look nice. If you want a solitary puffer, a nice fahaka in a 125 gallon would fit the bill. Check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php...be1e65f1e59c3a2 for more ideas.

Js

*sigh* I remember this conversation when I so desperately wanted my mbu. :cry:

It's always about the turning radius right?

Went back to BA's today and words can't really describe how I feel right now.

I'm not going to bother posting pictures cause its too depressing. All of their figure-8 puffers are dead and dying! There are close to 30 in the tank and only 4-5 are still able to swim. The bottom of the tank is littered with the dead and dying. They are covered in a white film and their eyes, omg, its so sad... look like they are caked-over in white like really, really bad catterax! I asked one of the staff what happened, they replied they were a bad shipment. Probably Ick they said.

I was modified! I kept asking myself why they didn't dispose of the dead littered across the bottom. Why didn't they even bother trying to treat it? I dunno, I was really upset. Seems like ominous force doesn't want me to own one of these little guys.

A sad, sad day.