My First Arowana :)

rED O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salt (NaCl) content in fresh seafood is a non issue for freshwater species, including arowana, unless that food has had salt "added" to the product by the supplier/vendor.

The amino acid & fatty acid content found in a high quality krill (such as E. superba) is leagues above your typical shrimp/prawns. There is simply no comparison. E. superba is one of the cleanest, overall nutritious, and quite frankly most expensive foods that one can offer a fish. You can read more about Antarctic krill in the following link. http://www.aquafeed.com/article.php?id=439&sectionid=5

Squid is another high quality seafood product that supplies a rich source of amino & fatty acids. Again, in overall nutrition it is head & shoulders above market shrimp/prawns.

Prawns should be avoided, or at least limited, due to their thiaminase content.

You can read more about that in the following link.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=23186

Beefheart is a bad idea for numerous reasons, and should be avoided by all species of fish.

Totally agree! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

someday get some rtg coz its more challenge and more attracted...but just enjoy your silver first...goodluck

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard some negative comments on feeding superworms. Fish can be hard to convert to other foods after feeding a lot of them. Use them sparingly. I blend fish and shelled shrimp with NLS pellets for my XB (easier than stuffing them every time I feed and my wife doesn't have to do it while I'm gone to work). My super red will only eat Hikari and not enough to put on good growth. I've tried just about everything with that fish and he's a stubborn bugger. I thought if I could get him on any pellet diet it would be easy to convert to eat almost anything. So far that's not been the case. He'll mouth and spit fish,shrimp,NLS,krill and he was much bigger than the fish that letsgofishn bought at the same time. Now he's a runt in comparison. Good luck!

I've heard some negative comments on feeding superworms. Fish can be hard to convert to other foods after feeding a lot of them. Use them sparingly. I blend fish and shelled shrimp with NLS pellets for my XB (easier than stuffing them every time I feed and my wife doesn't have to do it while I'm gone to work). My super red will only eat Hikari and not enough to put on good growth. I've tried just about everything with that fish and he's a stubborn bugger. I thought if I could get him on any pellet diet it would be easy to convert to eat almost anything. So far that's not been the case. He'll mouth and spit fish,shrimp,NLS,krill and he was much bigger than the fish that letsgofishn bought at the same time. Now he's a runt in comparison. Good luck!

thanks for that

this silver is a pig. everything I have put in the tank he eats. Hikari,NLS, worms,frogs,tetras,crickets,prawns,squid,scallops,clams, anything and everything he will eat.