My First Arowana :)

rED O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice, I bought one like that for my 135, and my three 6" oscars killed it in three hours :(

ya ,135 +1 aro + 3 oscar = 1 dead aro

it can be done for a while. It is hard to introduce a fish into a established oscar tank.

Just out of curiousity, but why are you even trying to feed your aro beefheart? Do they regularly eat that in the wild?

well I am only going to give it to my oscars. I might give a tiny bit to the aro when he is older, or make my own beef heart mix.

I went to the asian supermarket today and got some squid,scallops and some prawns :)

Just out of curiousity, but why are you even trying to feed your aro beefheart? Do they regularly eat that in the wild?

well I am only going to give it to my oscars. I might give a tiny bit to the aro when he is older, or make my own beef heart mix.

I went to the asian supermarket today and got some squid,scallops and some prawns :)

they dont eat squid or scallops in the wild either...!!!

they dont eat squid or scallops in the wild either...!!!

yeah I know that. I talked to a arowana keeper who has been for 30 years. He feeds his red aro squid and scallops. He gave me lots of foods that he fed his aro and his aro had great color and was very healthy. I also have read on a few sites that say squid and scallops are good for them, fish from stores.

hybrid, whats your argument on feeding these items?

The statement was self-explanatory

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/self-explanatory

:rolleyes:

I think I am going to have to take the advice from everyone and make my own opinions because everyone has there own ideas.

sorry bud,, but its not my opinion that silvers dont eat beefheart, squid and scallops in the wild... Its a fact of life that cow hearts are not found, floating in the amazon river for an arowana to eat.. as well, you wont find your salt water squids swimming amongst silvers for them to snack on

The statement was self-explanatory

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/self-explanatory

:rolleyes:

I think I am going to have to take the advice from everyone and make my own opinions because everyone has there own ideas.

sorry bud,, but its not my opinion that silvers dont eat beefheart, squid and scallops in the wild... Its a fact of life that cow hearts are not found, floating in the amazon river for an arowana to eat.. as well, you wont find your salt water squids swimming amongst silvers for them to snack on

I agree with you. I am not going to feed beef heart. I might give it to the silver once he is bigger as a treat or if any at all. I changed my mind about that because of the fat in beef heart. I will still feed squid and scallops as a treat, I am not going to make them a staple. I will try my best to offer the aro a varied diet.

any suggestions then hybrid?

Personally I'd avoid scallops and krill. I'd go for shrimp or prawns that have no salt content to them. Beefheart is a bad idea period. I read and hybrid told me that silvers get drop eye from too much fat in their diet, and its fat behind the eye. I'd just stick with aro pellets if I were to raise another silver.

The salt (NaCl) content in fresh seafood is a non issue for freshwater species, including arowana, unless that food has had salt "added" to the product by the supplier/vendor.

The amino acid & fatty acid content found in a high quality krill (such as E. superba) is leagues above your typical shrimp/prawns. There is simply no comparison. E. superba is one of the cleanest, overall nutritious, and quite frankly most expensive foods that one can offer a fish. You can read more about Antarctic krill in the following link. http://www.aquafeed.com/article.php?id=439&sectionid=5

Squid is another high quality seafood product that supplies a rich source of amino & fatty acids. Again, in overall nutrition it is head & shoulders above market shrimp/prawns.

Prawns should be avoided, or at least limited, due to their thiaminase content.

You can read more about that in the following link.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=23186

Beefheart is a bad idea for numerous reasons, and should be avoided by all species of fish.

Wow, interesting thread. :boxer: ....lots of opinions here.

Variety is key, stuff food with good pellets like NLS, if they wont take staight pellets. Avoid trout rations and other cheap foods.

Heres a sticky from another web site have a read.....and use your descression for what works for you and your fish.

food for aros