Tank seal size???

Ishkabod

The message title nearly says it all. What is the size of the silicone seam that i need to use on my 80 gallon tank.

In cm(please) what is the distance between the corner where the two pieces of glass first meet and the end of the silicone on either side. I want to be sure that when i tape the seams I have enough room for enough silicone to get an adaquate seal. I made the mistake of making the seal too small when i re sealed my 30 and i don't want to repeat that mistake.

Thanks

L

When I reseal tanks I usually go once or twice the thickness of the glass depending on what the tank is used for and where it will be placed. For 10mm glass if you're using clear silicone you can go 10 to15mm from the corner (your choice). The actual bond that holds the tank together is between the pieces of glass not in the corner bead.

I would not go more than a centimeter as it looks nicer.

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone sealed a tank over 100 gallons? I hear of smaller tanks being done all the time, but can't remember hearing of anyone doing something as large (or larger than) 100 gallons. I've got a 130 I'm in the process of tearing apart to re-seal, and am wondering if I'm nuts and better of doing a couple ply tanks, or should just re-seal this one.

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone sealed a tank over 100 gallons? I hear of smaller tanks being done all the time, but can't remember hearing of anyone doing something as large (or larger than) 100 gallons. I've got a 130 I'm in the process of tearing apart to re-seal, and am wondering if I'm nuts and better of doing a couple ply tanks, or should just re-seal this one.

My question has been answered so i don't mind unless someone has a different opinion on the matter. About the 130. I don't see why resealing it should be a worry. If you plan to tear it apart anyway then puting it back together would restore all the seals it originally had back to new. All good in my opinion. Now you have me thinking if it would be a bad idea to just re-do the seams or patch the leak. Hmmm Good question.

L

One of the seams in my tank was actually leaking; you could see water in the seam about 6" from the top of the tank to halfway down, and the tank leaked it was more than 3" from the top. I didn't really have a choice, because I kept having dreams about the tank blowing it's seams in the middle of the night!

I'm glad you asked that Kyle. I have resealed a 140 gal and went the thickness of the glass with the silicone. I did'nt have to tear the whole tank apart tho. I bought the tank used and resealed it for my own piece of mind. The tank is 10mm glass, so I went 10mm from the inside of the corner, that makes it 20mm on the outside. Looks good holds water and no problems.