Just wanna make sure this will work

Wackinator

Cories can be sensitive to salt though, so be careful with that. A bolivian ram should be fine with cherry barbs and ghost shrimp, they get larger than the german blues but they don't tend to eat smaller fish very often, besides that the cherries are faster swimmers. I had bolivians in with smaller cardinals and didn't seem to have any disappear.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have some panda corys in a 33 gallon tank with some other type of corys and they are fine. never had a problem with any corys. i think they are a very hardy fish. i thought i killed some once by adding straight cold water. they started twitching and flipped upside down swimming in circles. once they warmed up they were fine. they are still alive today.

oh okayy thanks for that lol, maybe I will add some panda cories as well, just one question, would adding two different kind of cories result in some weird kinda fish if they started breeding? or do they stick to their own type of cory?

Thanks

Cories can be sensitive to salt though, so be careful with that. A bolivian ram should be fine with cherry barbs and ghost shrimp, they get larger than the german blues but they don't tend to eat smaller fish very often, besides that the cherries are faster swimmers. I had bolivians in with smaller cardinals and didn't seem to have any disappear.

oh I didnt know about the cories being sensitive to salt, thanks for that, and thanks about the Bolivian ram as well, my biggest worry was my cherry barbs ending up as a snack for them. Should I only get one or is it better to get a pair or something?

I think if you stick with at least 3 of each type of cory you should be fine against cross breeding but there will always be that chance when mixing them. I don't think cories are very easy to breed either, so you might not even need to worry about that.

In a 33 the most for Bolivian rams I would get would be 2-3. I would definitely try for a pair if you can or even 2 females and 1 male, 2 males could possibly kill one another in a tank that size. Bolivian rams are slightly difficult to sex especially when they are younger, so if you can young ones that are still fairly small, try buying about 5 of them and then as they grow get rid of any that aren't going to work out.

even if the cory's did cross spawn in the community tank the chances of them not getting eaten are very slim.

a while back i had ich in a few tanks and i did a salt treatment, about double the amount of recommended salt. and all the corys are fine. i lost all of my german blue and gold rams. but that was it.

I think if you stick with at least 3 of each type of cory you should be fine against cross breeding but there will always be that chance when mixing them. I don't think cories are very easy to breed either, so you might not even need to worry about that.

In a 33 the most for Bolivian rams I would get would be 2-3. I would definitely try for a pair if you can or even 2 females and 1 male, 2 males could possibly kill one another in a tank that size. Bolivian rams are slightly difficult to sex especially when they are younger, so if you can young ones that are still fairly small, try buying about 5 of them and then as they grow get rid of any that aren't going to work out.

even if the cory's did cross spawn in the community tank the chances of them not getting eaten are very slim.

a while back i had ich in a few tanks and i did a salt treatment, about double the amount of recommended salt. and all the corys are fine. i lost all of my german blue and gold rams. but that was it.

Thanks again guys, I'll be picking up some panda cories as soon as I get the chance and Firestorm the tank is a 20 gallon not a 33 so should I still bother with getting 1 Bolivian ram or is that too small? they'll only be sharing with cories, 8-9 cherry barbs and maybe one female betta. and I was just asking because I've had cories lay eggs in the past but I ended up giving all the fries away.

The tanks with betta's I never get fry out of them. Even the one tank has about 20 guppies. And no fry at all. The female betta's eat them all

In a 20 one ram should do fine, but I wouldn't go with more than that for sure. I used to have 5 of them in a 90 gallon, and it seemed it wasn't enough space for them all....lol considering I ended up with all males.

lol thanks for that, and ye I was looking at bolivians at pisces this morning, they all had the black marks on them meaning still sleepy (it was right after 9) but I did get 2 panda cories, I wanted to get around 5 but the people ahead of me decided to buy all the cories they had but were extremely nice so the guy scooped 2 out of their bag so I could have em.

I'd be on the lookout for more cories IMHO. They are a schooling fish so you are best with a minimum of 4. Also get some brine shrimp pellets for them too. I've done much better with them after a pet store employee told me to do this.

I'd be on the lookout for more cories IMHO. They are a schooling fish so you are best with a minimum of 4. Also get some brine shrimp pellets for them too. I've done much better with them after a pet store employee told me to do this.

Ye I am looking for more cories but I do have 4 cories, 2 albino and 2 panda, but the Panda's are a lot smaller then my albino in which one is like 1 inch and the other one is close to 2 inches. They seemed to be eating the flakes that sank to the ground, but thanks for the advice, I probably should get pellets for them soon, I heard they also eat certain type of veggies if you tie it to a rock or something?