CO2

katie

So currently I am using the Hagen Nutrafin CO2 system on my 40 gallon aquarium. I feel this system is not producing enough CO2 for my aquarium as the leaves on my plants still die off quite easily and my plants are not growing as well as I thought they would be. So I was wondering what other CO2 set ups there are out there with out having them quite costly.

Thanks in advanced!

If you want to do DIY (ie. adding yeast and sugar to water) then set a couple of bigger containers - the cranberry juice jugs work well. Just use a hot nail or something similar to make a hole in the cap that is slightly smaller than the airline tubing. I bubble my CO2 into the intake of a powerhead for best diffussion - I have found that those ladders don't really work well.

Another more expensive option is pressurized.

For cheap just set up a few 4l jugs like jvision said, and hook them up to your ladder or a powerhead / filter .

I personally like doing it through a powerhead.

I have T5 lighting, I'm not exactly sure which specfic kind it is, so that there could be a factor.

As for substrate I have a layer of fine gravel, and then a layer of dirt, and then i have another layer of gravel on top of that.

I do not use the ladder for the CO2 because I was told that is does not work so well, so I have the CO2 going into my intake tube on my filter.

As for the DIY, what are the specific amounts you put in per volume of water?

Edited by katie

Katie / if you go to the planted tank section... there are several articles pinned above the actual forum discussion.... go through the articles as a start and that will help a lot... yu will have many questions after you do the reading but it is a great start at understanding what is needed to grow plants well...

Have fun .... keep us updated on your progress

Jerry has some good suggestions. You can also check out fertilisers as well as planting techniques too. Also ensure that the plants you have are suited for our water. Good luck and have fun!!!