Help ASAP with NitrIte spike, please.

Boom

OK, so I feel like such a rookie (I guess in the big picture I am), but I'm having a real problem with a 33 gallon that I take care of at work.

About 2 weeks ago the main filter on the tank, a Fluval 404 cannister, crapped out. The secondary filter, an AC70 HOB held down the fort until I was able to get a new cannister, a Fluval 205. Of coarse in the mean time, I lost all of my benificial bacteria in the 404.

Also, because the tank is at work and numerous people feed the fish, they get overfed.

I didn't clean the tank for a while, and as a result it got quite dirty.

This morning when I came in to work, it was really cloudy and it smelled. So I did about a 75% water change and gravel suction. The amount of un-eaten food and fish waste was unbelievable!

About an hour after the water change, 2 fish were dead and the others were looking very close. I quickly removed them into a 5 gallon bucket, and they perked right up.

My thought at that time was I was having a huge ammonia or nitrite spike. And that I made it worse by stirring up all the "cr@p" that was in the gravel.

I went to Big AL's, got a test kit, and some Prime. Talked to the guy there and he said after I dose with prime I should be able to put the fish back in the tank. So I tested the water, Ammonia at 0. Nitrite at 5ppm (OUCH) and NitrAte at about 20ppm.

OK so Nitrite is the cause.

So I added 2 1/2 capfuls of prime (says on the bottle in Nitrite emergencies it's ok to add up to 5 times the normal dose). Waited 20 minutes for it to circulate well, then added 1 fish back in the tank to see if it was safe. It wasn't, he died with 20 minutes.

So I know the Prime doesn't get rid of the ammonia, but is supposed to detoxify it. But it obviously didn't

So now what? More water change? More Prime? Leave it alone and let it cycle? Cause it's essentially cycling all over again isn't it?

I was planning on swapping out the substrate in this tank anyway, gravel for sand. Should I do that now? Will that help or hinder things?

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

I'd go back to BA's and pick up some "Seachem Stability" do a large WC and dose the tank with the Stability for the next week...

I have found that to big of a water change when your tank has been in bad shape for awhile is not always a good thing..

Of course if it is a last resort and all fish are dying , you have no choice.. But I like to do smaller more frequent water changes as not to shock the fish..

With extreme water paremeter changes..I have heard they get acustomed to high nitrate and nitrite levels and a quick reduction in not so good

Just my opinion

Edited by Moutain Dew

one half ounce of salt per gallon of water will prevent methemoglobin from building up. Chlorine salt is preferable, however any aquarium salt is better than no salt at all. Aeration should be increased to provide ample oxygen saturation in the water. The fish are suffocating to death due to there gills not getting enough oxygen out of the water

another common name is brown gill disease.

methemoglobin in the blood is caused by the nitrites in the water this causes the body to have a rought time carrying oxygen in the blood stream. I going as fast as i can reading and writting is hard work.....lol i hope this helps you

Thanks for the quite replys. It's not a matter of "saving the fish" because the fish that are still alive from that tank (5 elec. yellows) I can bring home and put in another tank for a few days or so as required.

The seachem Stability, if I'm correct, is supposed to be "bacteria in a bottle" essentially, right? I'm not an advocate of that and would rather bring some live filter media from my established tanks at home if it's a matter of quickly introducing more bacteria.

But will that reduce my nitrite levels quickly? and why doesn't the Prime seem to be working to detoxify it?

I'd go back to BA's and pick up some "Seachem Stability" do a large WC and dose the tank with the Stability for the next week...

I agree. Stability WILL remove the ammonia/nitrite but not immediately. Recommended dosage will turn +2ppm ammonia to Nitrate in less than 12 hours (I tested). Seachem Stability consist of dormant bacteria that when diluted with water become active. I have probably cycled 20 tanks with Stability.

Also, as degrassi said, hide the food!

CORVETTE: I believe that baking soda will prevent methemoglobin from building up but there is a potential side effect with adding anything to the water that raises the PH. Both ammonia and nitrite are much more toxic at higher PH levels.

If you're going to change the substrate anyhow and all the fish are safe, I'd clean the whole thing out. Maybe a lot of work at once, but perhaps starting over and (hiding the fish food) would be best IMHO.

I have found that to big of a water change when your tank has been in bad shape for awhile is not always a good thing..

Nitrites would not be your only concern. If you still have 20ppm nitrates after a 75% water change, then they were pretty high too. A sudden and significant improvement in water quality can be fatal to fish that have slowly acclimated to poor conditions. :(

Thanks all. I'm gonna be talking to my boss here at work to see what we're gonna do. Technically it's not my tank, it belongs to Comms, but I'm the sole caretaker of it. There is a chance I won't be in this job position for a whole lot longer anyway, so we need to figure out if there is anyone willing to take on the responsibility if I leave.

I will keep you all updated. For now the fish are safe and the tank will cycle itself. There's still enough crap in there to feed the bacteria for a week. I'll monitor the nitrites to see when they drop.

Thanks again all.

The decision has been made to shut down this tank. Another lady will be taking care of the other tank at work, a 20 gallon tetra tank, from now on.

I'm gona concentrate on my home tanks alone from now on.

Thanks again for all the advice.