Leaky fluval 304

Bandi

I got this used fluval from a private sale, the guy had it up and working and drained his tank to sell me the filter. I get the filter home, rinse and change the medium but when I close the lid clamps the thing leaks like a devil. It won't hold water for nothing. It comes out the lid seams as fast as I pour it in the top.

So I changed the O-ring....no different.

Is this filter hooped?

Have you made sure the o-ring is properly seated?

Have you made sure the o-ring is properly seated?

golly, my husband and i have both removed and repositioned the o-ring. It must be sitting properly.

Make sure everything inside the filter is seated properly. Mine leaked when some of my filter material was shoved out of place and didn't allow the trays to sit properly.

Don't know how or why, but we connected it all together and it is working fine. Thanks for wanting to help.

my 404 leaks when the power is stopped to the motor and the water inlet and outlet is in the water.

but i just try to get it to regular flow and clean up the mess after if it leaks a lot.

just try getting it started to regular flow

and if the leaking doesn't stop within maybe 2 minutes i would trash it to be honest.

i don't know if my advice will leave you with anything other than a gangst' mess but i hope it works.

Edited by Dmaan.

Glad to see you got the problem fixed. It may have been that the top was put on backwards there is notch in the canister where the power cord fits. (don't know if the top will actually go on backwards, but might be possible)

Edited by randy

Most of the time filters will leak because there is either a crack in the filter or the o-ring needs lubing or replacing. I suggest for next time check the oring, if it doesn't seem badly dried out or cracked then just lube it up instead of replacing the whole thing.......much cheaper. Also if the cover plate for the impeller is broken or the impeller is worn out I have found they can leak.

Randy, they can only go on one way, they won't even go on at all if you have it on wrong. The rena XP's however can go on either way.

Randy, they can only go on one way, they won't even go on at all if you have it on wrong. The rena XP's however can go on either way.

I have 3 of them and was going to try and see if it would go on backwards guess I don't need to try that thanks.

some times my fluvals leak even when they are clamped, but i can still push the top down a little bit further and when i do that they are fine.

also i believe that when you are adding water with the lid on, if the water goes in the middle of the two holes it goes into the motor compartment and then just pours out above the seal. its not really leaking it is just draining out the water that was in the motor compartment.

also on a few the seals in the aquastop leak if the lever is not exactly in the middle.