heros sp.

darkangel

Don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes.

I have 5 heros sp, 2 rotkeil red shoulder and 3 rainbow. One of the rainbows is down in the corner of the tank beside some rocks and fake plants. It is constantly fanning the gravel and picking it up and spitting it out on the other side of the tank, it has a pretty good size pit dug up. It also chases the others away from that spot. Tonite I was digging up some MTS for my planted tank, and every time I got within 6" of him/her it would attack my hand very aggressivly. These fish are normaly very tame and will take pellets from my fingers. Is this a breeding/spawning ritual or is it something else,(fish turning into a real a$$hole). I did notice that every now and then it will allow one of the other rainbows to get close, and then it gets chased away. I have never bred severums and have no intention of starting now as I don't think there is a high demand for them except for feeders.

Other than size they both look identical. The only difference I see is the smaller one that is digging/fanning has no markings/lines on it's face. I don't really want to stress them out netting and venting at this point.

My Severum bred in a bare bottom tank but the bog wood they used was guarded vigilantly. I believe you have a pair.

Thanks a lot Nick, I don't really want a pair. I will be in no shape to be raising fry very soon.

Put a small pike cichlid in your tank and the fry will be looked after for you. :thumbs:

A large school of cardinals would have been a good cure for fry who start to venture out once free swimming

A large school of cardinals would have been a good cure for fry who start to venture out once free swimming

Upon closer inspection and the fact that Sue pointed them out. I don't have eggs, I do have little wigglers tho.

Yes, A school of cardinals would have been nice. Still weeping a bit over that one. I do have other hungry fish that wiil take care of them. I may grow a few out just to see the coloration I get from them. No orange or yellow, they become food, Maybe for a lungfish lurking around the Gibbons area.