Red Plants

Marian

I would like to ask you guys about your experience with growing red plants. I used to have Alternanthera rosaefolia, nice red plant, but it died pretty quickly. Now the only red plant I have is Ludwigia palustris - kind of mix red-green plant. I would like to try something else, would you recommend plants like Alternanthera reineckii, Alternanthera splendida, Ludwigia repens, Rotala macrantha? What's the key to grow plants like these?

Marian

I'm not plant expert(Werner, insert comment here) but my ludwigia repens has been much happier since I put it in my high light tank. I think red plants need iron too but someone else could help you more with that!!

I find red plants do better with high lights (2.5-3wpg and over) CO2 injection and iron supplementation. Without these they might live, but will not give you the nice colors and healthy leaves as others. I haven't tried many of the ones you listed, but I find ludwigia repens to be a fairly simple plant to keep.

Most red plants require higher light levels (which generally requires that you have CO2 addition, which usually requires that you have good fertilization...) Some species aren't so demanding and will do fine with less light, but they will become more green colored- L. repens is one of those. Another one you might want to try is Rotala rotundifolia.

The Alternanthera species and Rotala macrandra are all considered to be difficult plants to keep.

I've had the best success w. A. reineckii. I find that good bright light and good nutrients (CO2, ferts) and it grows well. I find that it grows better emersed than submerged, tho.

I purchased an Alternanthera rosaefolia a few months ago, and so far, it's doing fantastic in my tank. I have higher light (2.8wpg) and DIY CO2 in the tank. I don't add a whole lot of iron into my tank, but have laterite mixed into the substrate, so I guess I've got that covered there. I really like the "red" plant look, and keep a few different types with no problems. Sadly, the only plant I can't seem to keep is Java Fern. Go figure.