They hatched!!!

seastar

My Crown Tails had a successful spawn. The fry are two days old today. I tried to photograph them but they are too small. Here are photos of the parents:

Photo of the mom.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp162/s...os/DSC_0042.jpg

Photo of the father looking after the eggs.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp162/s...os/DSC_0838.jpg

This photo is of the first spawn attempt - you can see the eggs falling from the female.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp162/s...otos/2spawn.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
It would be nice to have someone post in the journal section the step by step process of spawning these and a few other spiecies of fish...

The bettas look like a challenge...

They are!!

Very interesting how the fry are growing. I did 2 spawns using the same male CT but different females, one week apart. Both in 5 gallon tanks with lots of Java moss and ivy leaf duck weed. The fry that are a week younger are 4 times larger than the others. The females are not that much different in size. All the babies are eating well and are healthy. I do regular water changes to both tanks. The fry that are bigger had quite a few hatch, but there are only three left. I think they ate the others. In the spawn tank with the older and smaller fry they are all the same size, and there are perhaps 7 to 10 or more. It is hard to count them because they are hidden in the plants. I feed them all fresh hatched brine shrimp and NLS ground up food that I sprinkle on the top of the water.

It's a mystery to me why the younger ones are so very much smaller than the ones hatched a week later.

Very interesting how the fry are growing. I did 2 spawns using the same male CT but different females, one week apart. Both in 5 gallon tanks with lots of Java moss and ivy leaf duck weed. The fry that are a week younger are 4 times larger than the others. The females are not that much different in size. All the babies are eating well and are healthy. I do regular water changes to both tanks. The fry that are bigger had quite a few hatch, but there are only three left. I think they ate the others. In the spawn tank with the older and smaller fry they are all the same size, and there are perhaps 7 to 10 or more. It is hard to count them because they are hidden in the plants. I feed them all fresh hatched brine shrimp and NLS ground up food that I sprinkle on the top of the water.

It's a mystery to me why the younger ones are so very much smaller than the ones hatched a week later.

There is a reason, the first batch had more fry, there for more competition for food source. The second batch had less fry so more food availablity. The fry actually don't eat each other.. the weak die off the strongest live usually the ones that did survive were the first to hatch. Usually they had more protein in the egg sack, this is why they are larger to begin with... the more fry the less growth, it holds true for all my batches.