albino oscar...color not so great

Bandi

Hi, I was given a nice 8 inch female albino tiger oscar. When I got her she was beautifully white with orange markings. I have had her about a month and now her white doesn't look as white as it used to be. She almost looks "dirty". She seems healthy other than that. Could it be the food I have her on? I also was forced to treat for Ick a few weeks ago...is it possible the dye from the "Rid-Ick" could stain her color? Any suggestions at all?

I agree, first thing to look at is water quality. If a fish doesn't feel well, their color diminishes. You are looking for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrate. IMO weekly 50% water changes and a 76 degree water temp. How well is she eating? Does she seem hungry all the time even if you just fed her? How did you treat the ICK? You may need to add carbon to the filter to remove any meds still in the water. I don't know how experienced you are with fish keeping so please don't take any offense to my questions, I'd just like to help. No one likes it when their fish are not feeling well, so we just want to cover the bases. 90% of problems stem from water quality so that's always the first step.

Hi, thanks for your imput. When I tested the water last week all the levels were perfect. But I checked them again just now so I could report acurately and the Nitrites were a little high. So I added extra Prime to deal with that. Funny the nitrites would be so high because I just did a 40% water change only yesterday..

However... here are the photos to show what I mean about her color going from bright white to dirty grey.

I am glad you think she looks ok. In the first photo I posted you can see she is whiter and brighter in her orange color. The next two photos were taken today...the orange is duller and the white looks ...well...not so bright. She has never been a ravenous eater. She eats...but she takes her time doing so.

the best part is that she has formed a pair bond with my texes cichlid...the two are in love :)

Usually happens when one parent was albino and another was a common or such. It's hard now a days to find pure albino that keep there colors due to all the mismatch and inbreeding.

Edited by t-man

Hi, thanks for your imput. When I tested the water last week all the levels were perfect. But I checked them again just now so I could report acurately and the Nitrites were a little high. So I added extra Prime to deal with that. Funny the nitrites would be so high because I just did a 40% water change only yesterday..

An established tank should have 0 nitrites registering on a test kit, which would lead me to believe that you have some water quality issues causing your fish to be stressed, which has lead to it showing less than ideal coloration.

Improve your water quality & you will most likely see an improvement in your fish.

An established tank should have 0 nitrites registering on a test kit, which would lead me to believe that you have some water quality issues causing your fish to be stressed, which has lead to it showing less than ideal coloration.

Improve your water quality & you will most likely see an improvement in your fish.

Orrrr just to take another shot in the dark was the decor in the tank she came from different than yours?

• 2 weeks later...

She looks beautiful to me. Next time you have nitrite problems add some aquarium salts instead of prime. It is supposed to help detoxify nitrite and nitrate. I dont know what it is, but normally I dont like albino fish......but I find albino oscars to be absolutely stunning :)

If shes not eating like a pig, she might be stressed or not feeling well. I found with mine they always grab at the food as if it was running out.

How often are you doing water changes? Gravel vac each time? I agree with RD., in that as long as the tank is established and you are siphoning out 20+% water each week, ammonia and nitrites should be at zero. Does all the food put in the tank get eaten? I think the high water params may be stressing the fish out. As Firestorm said, you can add salt, but make sure you do a large water change too, it is the best way to get toxins out of the water.

What size tank is the fish in? What exactly are you feeding, and how often?

Another thing. I believe Rid Ich has formaldehyde in it, which may impact your biological filter. This may have caused a mini cycle in the tank, the malachite in it shouldn't dye anything.

Edited by DiscusLova