Betta Breeders/Sellers in the Edmonton Area?

NomiDemekin

The fish that lays eggs is usually the female :smokey:

OK, look for the "eggdot" between the ventrals, shorter ventrals and bit of a tummy.

I find that males have a tighter jaw too, if that makes any sense... and on the females I've seen, their dorsal fins are also a bit shorter. This sometimes applies to the anal fin as well.

Edit- Just came back from both Petsmart (near Chapters... don't know exact address) and the PJ's on Calgary trail... Nothing much. At the PJ's, two rather dull females, red and black-ish, two gorgeous DBT's, one a red butterfly I believe (didn't look very closely) and one a turquoise marble, and a blue cambodian VT... not much. A few nicely colored CT's.

And at Petsmart, big dark females as usual... Most of the males half dead. They should be getting in a new shipment in though, the shelves are pretty bare.

Oh, and PJ's on 23rd Ave sometimes has really nice bettas too... I saw a few butterfly CT's last time I went, and a bunch of DBT's...

Edited by BettaSlave

lol sorry you misunderstood me I meant "types" of females... like female vs. female....

Have you ever heard of PJs jacking the price just for color? ex: on a crown tail......erg!

Like... VT vs. PK? This link should help...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868

No... never. I bought a gorgeous pastel turquoise delta from PJ's, much nicer color than the others, and his price remained the same.

it is difficult to distinguish the different tail types in females. if they look like they have a bit of crowntail edging (if there are little 'spokes' coming off the ends of the fins), then the female is most likely crowntail. other than that i myself have no way of distinguishing between them.

most females in stores are veiltail, btw. if you want to know for sure what your female's tail type/genetics are, it's best to get her straight from a breeder.