shrimp food

If anybody's looking for shrimp food, my friend on aquabid will now ship to Canada. He does give you a quote on shipping but mine wasn't that much. His name is Chrome03 and he's a good guy to deal with. Help support anyone who'll ship to us!!!

Edited by fishclubgirl

How is shrimp food different then regular food? I just feed NLS pellets to my shrimp.

Have you ever seen your shrimp fight? I should take a vid of them tonight when I feed them the stuff. Shrimp food contains more of the nutrients shrimp require, especially specialty shrimp. It also gives them better color. I am sure regular NLS is fine for them too.

He carries Biomax. I'm not a shrimp expert but figured like anything, the better food I use, the better the health of the fish, shrimp, etc. He seems like a good guy to deal with and like to support people on aquabid who'll ship to Canada. Most of them are like me. We do it to make a couple of dollars that go right back into the hobby. In my case, it usually goes toward something that you can't find at the lfs.

Shrimp food contains more of the nutrients shrimp require, especially specialty shrimp.

Are you sure about that, Caressa?

Biomax Shrimp food

Ingredients - Krill meal, fish meal, squid liver powder, mussel meal, liver meal, brewer yeast, Spirulina, wheat flour, seaweed powder, pearl powder, astaxanthin, β-glucan, vitamin and trace minerals

Net weight 50g - cost approx $35.00-$45.00 CAD

NLS

Ingredients: Antarctic Krill Meal, Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract, vitamins & trace minerals.

Net weight 140g - cost approx $18.00 CAD (and no shipping costs)

Cost wise Shirakura is better than Biomax (approx $35-$45 CAD for 90g) but no where close to the cost of NLS Growth or Small Fish formula. A 75g container of the Small Fish formula costs approx $9.99 CAD.

Your money, your shrimp, just thought I would crunch a few numbers & ingredients for y'all.

Edited by RD.

I am sure NLS is probably great to use for shrimp, and I used the grow out for a while with mine like you suggested Neil. I actually just bought some ebita breed foods, 2 containers for $30. Apparently it is made by japanese shrimp breeders and hobbiests, and the guy I got the contact from told me it brought out the color in his crystal shrimp alot more than using even the shirakura shrimp food. I am just giving it a try, but need to finish off my shirakura first. The bags should last close to a year with about 20 shrimp. I only feed them every other day. I don't mind spending a little extra money on good quality products specialized for certain species. Which is why I buy NLS for all the rest of my fish Neil :)

Mind you my cherry shrimp only get the NLS and algae wafers.

Edit: I am not certain the ingredients in the other shrimp foods as most stuff written on the bags is in asian writing, never tried the one you listed for Neil so I can't say for sure what it does for them.

Edited by firestorm

Caressa, most of the ingredient listings on the various other shrimp foods are ambiguous, for a reason. :)

Things such as Phospholipid, Animal cholesterol, or secret ingredients such as "shrimp guard".

Or nonsense such as the following, which Ebita states: "It is difficult for the crustacean living in water to ingest water-soluble vitamin C more than 90% of which shall be lost during heat procedure if added to the food. Furthermore, the vitamin C remaining in the diet will be lost with time (one month)."

Personally I would have very little faith in any company that doesn't use a form of stabilized vitamin c in their products, such as L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, which has an average post processing retention in the final product of approx 90%, and will still retain the majority of that vitamin c after 12 months of proper storage. The exact opposite of what the folks at Ebita would have one believe.

Every company seems to have their own spin on their various formulas, when in reality they are all based on the exact same principles as all fish feeds; amino acids (protein), lipids (fat), vitamins & trace minerals. Other than particle/pellet size, there are very few foods on the market that one could state as being "specialized for certain species". I realize that there are companies that attempt to sell that sales pitch, with 7 different formulas just for goldfish, including one for Oranda, and one for Lionhead, but it boils down to nothing more than slick willy marketing gimmicks.

FYI - The owner of the cherry shrimp in the photo posted above feeds his crystal red shrimp the exact same food.

If Gerry or Patrick (the two best photographers on this forum, who both happen to own shrimp) would be interested in conducting a controlled feed trial using one of the specialty foods out there in one tank (or in a divided tank), and NLS in another, I'd be more than happy to supply the NLS, and pay for the cost of the Shirakura, or Ebida.

If nothing else that should put the "which provides better color" to rest. :)

Just so there's no confusion, I'm not saying that these "specialty" shrimp foods aren't of high quality, I'm simply saying that they seem to be waaaay overpriced.

humm.. I don't feed mine anything special just wafers generic and Cyclope ezz... <--- not how its spelled but you know what i mean lol

We use NLS for everything else mind you... haven't tried the Shrimp food, didn't know you had some.

Cyclop eeze is a very high quality product, expensive, but a little goes a long ways.

The "shrimp" food I have is simply the Small Fish formula, or the Growth formula.

Both work equally well, and cost a fraction of the specialty foods mentioned above.

Whoa, I must be richer than I thought if I'm paying 35-45 for the biomax. My buddy in the states charges me approximately 18 dollars for it and that includes shipping. Granted the price is in US dollars but that's still nowhere near 35-45 dollars.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1240594152

I based the value on your 'buddies' listed price on AquaBid, which is $35.00 US, plus shipping, but didn't notice that it was for the "trio" of packages. My bad.

Either way, it's still approx 3 times more than what you can purchase a locally sold product for.

Approx $22.00 CAD per 50g, vs less than $20.00 for 140g.

Hmmmm, I wonder how many people would be willing to pay $250.00 for a bucket of NLS? :)

Edited by RD.

I would like to know what is so wrong with buying food that is specifically made for that species. Yes NLS is a great food, definitely not the cheapest either, but to be honest there is nothing wrong with ordering special food for a certain type of aquatic animal. If NLS made a special shrimp food I am sure I would be one of the first to try it. Even though people pay that kind of money, the shrimp food goes a long way.