Garter snakes

patrick

They were everywhere. Standing on the trail in an opena area I could see snakes in the corner of my eyes to the left and right. It sounded like the wind was going through the grass even though there was no wind. I sat down in the grass and after a while they were up close, crawling over my shoes and between my legs. Some of them were mating as well. Too bad I did not have my macro lens with me so I could take some really good close ups.

IMG_3123-750.jpg

IMG_3131-750.jpg

IMG_3146-750.jpg

IMG_3207-750.jpg

IMG_3235-750.jpg

IMG_3225-750.jpg

Strange where the line is where certain animals exist and then they don't...

Seems like it is between edmonton and red deer and then between calgary and red deer etc etc

Almost like a barrier.. and you would think there would not be that much climatic difference

Yes and this is the only species of garter snake I have seen here, and there are so many of them. During the entire summer, especially in the morning, there is one spot on the trail where you will almost always see a snake when you walk there. Today I seen some of the largest and thickest garter snakes up to date, around 3 feet long.

Strange where the line is where certain animals exist and then they don't...

Seems like it is between edmonton and red deer and then between calgary and red deer etc etc

Almost like a barrier.. and you would think there would not be that much climatic difference

Back in the mid 90s when I hauled groceries up into the NWT & Yukon, I would stop just north of High Level and dig up a whole wack of garter snakes for a friend of mine. You could also find a few interesting things in northern BC and between Watson Lake & Porter Creek. So the barrier don't stop at Edmonton. You just have to look a little harder when you go north of the city.

By the way, Awsome shots as usual Patrick.

They generally den up by the hundreds for the winter, if they are leaving the den then spring is definitely on the doorstep. :) There used to be a den somewhere around Island lake, but it is gone now - I think a new house was built on it. So nice to see that they are still hanging around.

Nice pictures by the way.

We used to catch them up right in town of Redwater. Now I don't care for snakes...lol.

I also saw one on the road a couple years ago on my way back from work.

They seem to like to follow the river.

Lana

We used to catch them up right in town of Redwater. Now I don't care for snakes...lol.

I also saw one on the road a couple years ago on my way back from work.

They seem to like to follow the river.

Lana

Watching them swim is quite a sight as well.

They do normally live by water from what I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
dude you soo need to go to ERAS's site and post these. lol.

http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/index.php

everyone there will love you.

Hey these guys have different colours from other oics i've seen. wonder why?

There are a few different species of garter snakes that live here, which explains the different colorations.

These are the beautiful Thamnophis radix, the plains garter snake. My absolute favorite garter snake. The other ones on the ERAS site are Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis or the red sided garter snake.

The plain's range extends up Edmonton and to the East. Common in the plains and aspen parkland area. The red sided garter ranges to the west of the province and the entire northern half up into the territories. They are also common in the aspen parkland, and up throughout the boreal forest. The third species in Alberta is the wandering garter snake, Thamnophis vagrans elegans. It ranges throughout the south side of the province and up the very west side as it's very common throughout BC. They commonly den with the plains garter, but as you've seen, arn't always there.

The only other den that I personally am aware of is getting to popular for it's own good. I build this sign to try and protect the area a bit with passive education. Ran out of money and ERAS thankfully paid for most of it so it could be up for this season, thanks ERAS!

DSCF6800.jpg

I hope I'm not being overly forward, not being a regular on this forum and all, but would you welcome a visitor to your densite? I'm a bit of a reptile nut and an avid "field herper".

Thanks for the consideration :)

Ian

dude you soo need to go to ERAS's site and post these. lol.

http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/index.php

everyone there will love you.

Hey these guys have different colours from other oics i've seen. wonder why?

There are a few different species of garter snakes that live here, which explains the different colorations.

Edited by joeysgreen