Help.. how hard is it to make a complete ecosystem

wishe

Hey all...

So lately I have been thinking about making a complete ecosystem tank for my desk.. maybe a 20 gallon or so? I have been thinking about looking for a hex tank or a little corner tank, just cuz of how my desk is set up. But how hard it is? What do I need. In My mind i see planted plants, snails, Srimp, smail fish, driftwood. But how do I do think and is it even possible? Please Im asking the vast pool of knowledge. Help...

What type of ecosystem are you looking at making? Do you mean more like a biotope or just a self sustaining tank without the need of filtration and stuff? Sloughshark has made some really awesome biotopes, you could PM her and find out how she does it.

First step is figuring out what type of plants you want to go for, low light medium or high light plants. Once you figure that out, it would be figuring out what kind of substrate you would like to use. For planted tanks I highly recommend going with special substrates that contain natural fertilizers or ones that hold nutrients they get from the water. Do you want all the fish to be from the same area? If so do some research on the type of habitat it is, is it sandy, rocky etc to help you figure out what kind of substrate to go for. If not then go for what you like the looks of. But in general the most important things to consider with live plants is lighting and substrate.

When setting it up I would buy ALOT of fast growing plants to help cycle the tank, you can always remove some of them later. Or if you want to just set it up how you like it that works too. Plant the tall plants in the back, medium in the middle and short in the front. If you have high lighting and want some low light plants in there as well, you can place the low light plants so that they will be shaded by the taller plants. Hope this helps you somewhat on getting started.

Do a little research on the 'Walstad' method of setting up aquariums.

You can't really create a complete ecosystem in an aquarium, but with a little work, you can make them very low maintenance.

very interesting.

how many of you use dirt as part of your substrate?

I use well rinsed flourite red and am thinking maybe I should add dirt underneath. I want prolific plant growth.

I don't use peat because I don't like the mess it can make. You shouldn't need peat or soil underneath of fluorite, I don't think it will make that much of a difference since fluorite contains most nutrients.

very interesting.

how many of you use dirt as part of your substrate?

I use well rinsed flourite red and am thinking maybe I should add dirt underneath. I want prolific plant growth.

I've started to use dirt, but thats because I'm too lazy to buy fluorite. (nothing dead yet) (since fluorite is 'built' for the job, I would imagion it would be better though)

Edited by Iceturf

Very interesting concept. I may try it in a 10 gal with some feeder tetras and maybe a few young geophagus iporangensis. A while back I bought plants at canadian tire from the pond section and put them in the aquarium. The fish dug them out. The black soil clogged my filters daily until I actually didn't have much soil left in the tank. Maybe a layer of bamboo place mats could solve the digging in black dirt problem? I think I will be buying ECOLOGY of the PLANTED AQUARIUM thanks to blainep

Edited by Baos

Very interesting concept. I may try it in a 10 gal with some feeder tetras and maybe a few young geophagus iporangensis. A while back I bought plants at canadian tire from the pond section and put them in the aquarium. The fish dug them out. The black soil clogged my filters daily until I actually didn't have much soil left in the tank. Maybe a layer of bamboo place mats could solve the digging in black dirt problem? I think I will be buying ECOLOGY of the PLANTED AQUARIUM thanks to blainep

Diana also has a section dedicated to the 'El Natural' method at APC

From some of the reading I've done, Diana Walstad is one smart cookie, not just with the planted tanks.

Edited by blainep