Fish People are Nice People! And I mean that!

Bandi

Hi, I have been in the fish world a relatively short time (a few months) and through my journey of buying tanks and fish from many, many different private sellers, I have this to say about "fish people"...they are just down right nice.

I have been in the "dog world" showing champion dogs, I have been in the "horse world" managing a hunter/jumper stable and now I am submersed (pun intended) in the "fish world" and I must say...I thought horse people were pretty darn nice. But nothing tops the friendliness and hospitality have received from various fish owners. I have bought very few fish from stores and have aquired most of my collection from private homes. These people without excecption invite me into their homes to buy their tank or look at their fish (and buy them) and have been some of the nicest "strangers" I have ever met. Now when I chit chat with people about other people (not gossiping) and find out they own fish, I confidently say..."they must be nice people then".

I have picked up fish tanks from three different homes and on two occassions had to take my 2.5 yr old and my 1.5 yr old with me. The sellers of the tanks invited my kids in to play with their kids while we talked fish and loaded tanks. One "fish person" even let us stay a little longer so my youngsters could stretch their legs some more on their outdoor play set before out one hour drive home.

I bought some fish off another total stranger who made me tea while we chatted about fish. How nice is that!

So I have nothing to say but great praise about you fish people. You have answered my question here with kindness and enthusiasm and I noticed after brousing the site, are generally hopitable to each other. There are a few post I noted that were snoty to say the least, but I am still determined to hold my belief that "fish people" or just plain nice people.

Thanks to all who have answered my questions on the various forums.

I look forward to posting more with you. I am still learning just all the in's and out's of this site (it features etc...)

i agree with you. Many people have been so kind to me in this hobby especially in my travels and in my purchases. I always try to "pay it forward" because of this. Can't believe how many people I've met all over the world because of my addiction. If only my parents hadn't given in to my demands for a 10 gallon tank when I was small, this never would've happened.

Yes they are! :thumbs: :beer:

I think everyone remembers being a noob and clueless, so it's nice to help out others when we can. I've had LOTS of help from lots of cool people and I try to pay it forward as often as I can.

The pay it forward concept nurtures life long friendships and good feelings.... I have been on both sides of this concept here on this forum and am greatful to several here for their friendship and generosity... I try and go this route all the time now..... try it you will like what it does for your well being....

Hi :beer: Fish people are very nice - we were all new once too and I think everyone remembers that.

If you don't mind me asking... what kind of dogs did you show? The agility world here in Edmonton is also filled with very nice people.

Hi :beer: Fish people are very nice - we were all new once too and I think everyone remembers that.

If you don't mind me asking... what kind of dogs did you show? The agility world here in Edmonton is also filled with very nice people.

I showed my two Dobermans to their championships and did competition obedience and flyball with one of them.

I did agility (just for fun) with my great dane. That was amusing to say the least. Danes are not cut out for such things, but he tried... and in the end accomplished all the obstacles.

Thats interesting... you must be a good trainer...

I would love to own a Great Dane .... I have a friend who lives on and acarrage that had a couple of Danes... they were like big teddy bears very friendly.....

I hear Dobbermans are simular once you get over their intimidating looks... its those sharp pointy teath that put up my guard...

Do you have any pictures to share of the critters?

Edited by corrosionjerry

Do you have any pictures to share of the critters?

I have dozens of photos of my "kids" but they were all taken before the era of digital cameras. If I find time I can scan some and post them :)

LOL - A dane doing agility would have been a sight to see. Did he have to get down on his belly to make it through the tunnels? They're usually a fairly easy going eager to please kind of personality from what I know of them. I don't know dobies at all but I'm sure like all dogs they're great if raised and handled properly.

I have 2 border collie crosses and I did agility with both of them. I retired the oldest last summer (she's still not happy with me) but the younger one is still going strong.

So I show up at a strangers to swap some aquatic stuff yesterday and wow!! They were in the middle of a BBQ, invited me in and offered me food. I had to be somewhere else so I declined but left with a doggy bag for later. OMG, there was lamb, chicken and bread all homecooked Indian style, enough for 3 meals!! It was so good!! All this for 7 cherry shrimp and I left with some pogostemon stellata too. Then there's my friends at Betta Breeders Canada who are making all the arrangements for me at the CAOAC show. All I have to do is get there and bring fish. Fish people are so generous!!