Happy tangs or what :)

firestorm

My tanganyikan tank must be a happy tank considering a few weeks ago a pair of my julidochromis transcriptus bred, and then last night my bf noticed my female calvus was missing, well guess what, she is under some rocks while the male guards outside. I knew instantly when he attacked my finger when I put it near the glass that they must have some eggs. I am so ecstatic :thumbs: Now I wonder if any of the others will decide to make babies :smokey:

Thanks and tell me about it. I didn't even know they had spawned until we were looking for the female. They didn't even act as though they had paired of either, the smaller one we just assumed was female. She disappeared and we couldn't find her, then I was wondering why the male was staying in one spot when he usually swims around the whole tank. The female is only around 2" and the male is about 3.5", didn't know they spawned at such a young age. I am happy about it though, I would have thought they would have been one of the last ones to breed. I guess taking out my pair of neo buescheri made them all very happy lol. :)

Congrats, thats great to hear!

Transcriptus are cool! I would like get some of those. I have a breeding pair of Julidochromis regani, and another (I think male/female) pair of J. marlieri. Calvus are nice too!

Good luck with the babies!

Chris

If my petricolas don't go in eating all the eggs or babies then I should get some lol. The calvus are definitely not as protective as the juli's, and the petricolas seem to be very brave. I wish I could see what's going on in there, but the nice little cave they took a liking to is impossible to see in from any angle, and it's too dark. This is their first spawn so it might not be entirely successful. I am sure glad I removed the other guys though :)

Thanks Chris, I hope I can get some babies from them. It seems the only fish I have ever had success getting babies from are my mbuna, red jewels or convicts lol.

Well, if they are in a good spot, im sure it will go well! My brichardi and talking cats have never even had a chance or tried to bother any of the babies my julis had. I think the only eliminations were from julis eating eachother, haha, I never saw the brichardis chase any other than when they were under 'his' rock. lol. Also, its nice because once the babies get to about an inch, they start to protect new batches too. :)

Again, I hope it goes well!

Cheers,

Chris