Knowzilla's 180Gal Project!

Knowzilla

Well after much begging and pleading to my wife she agreed to let me have a tank bigger than my 120. So I went down to Concept Aquarium and ordered my 72x24x24 (180Gal). Had to ask my buddy Curt bringing it in from the city as I didn't have a pickup, and my wife's cousin to help bring it into the house and down into the basement as I still had my stiches in my hand and didn't want to have them rip out. The tank stand will be part of the wall that will be going across my old reptile room (as this was one of the connditions to getting the tank), dividing it into a play room on one side for my son and a reptile/fish room on the other side. The tank will look like a window in the wall and house my peacocks and haps from my 55Gal as well as quite a few additions to the tank including a big pleco.

post-3286-1241406695_thumb.jpg

Well finished the studding around my tank today with the help of my buddy Colin. I included A 36" door for access to the fish/reptile room behind the tank. For filtration I decided to go with a single fluval FX5, as I have very long hours at work and don't get home till late, so I wanted a simple filer that would be easy to maintain and forgiving when it came to topups unlike the sump for the 55Gal that my africans are currently in. For heating the tank I will be going with 2 of the new fluval 300watt E300 electronic heaters. Great heaters with digital readout for the temp in the tank.

I just have to install the door and do some drywalling/tapemudding and I will be quite close to being done.

post-3286-1242597960_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well after the electrical fire in my room, and finally not having holidays or other projects, I finally got my tank setup and put my fish in. My Bio media was cycled out in the sump of my old 55Gal, and then transfered to my FX5. I used sand/crushed coral mix for substrate. I will have more pics once I have time to tape/mud and prime and paint as well as a few other odds and ends.

P6220188.jpg

P6220189.jpg

P6280191.jpg

P7010193.jpg

P7010194.jpg

P7010195.jpg

P7010196.jpg

P7010197.jpg

P7010198.jpg

P7010199.jpg

Looking good can't wait to see it done.

Are you going to paint the back of your tank?

Nope don't like to paint the backs of my tanks, gonna use a blue vinyl decal that come's in large sheets for the back. Easyer and cleaner to put on and I can take it off and reapply it as many times as I want it I don't like the colour.

• 2 months later...

Well after a very, very long build I am finally done. I put stained Fir trim with red oak (was $1.50 ceaper than pine)blocks around the tank, and then built a panel above the tank to hide the lighting above the tank and make the will looke more finished.

The one side is my fishroom/reptileroom and the other is my sons playroom, and if you didn't notice he loves cars and the cars movie.

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

Edited by Knowzilla

• 1 year later...

Well after a very, very long build I am finally done. I put stained Fir trim with red oak (was $1.50 ceaper than pine)blocks around the tank, and then built a panel above the tank to hide the lighting above the tank and make the will looke more finished.

The one side is my fishroom/reptileroom and the other is my sons playroom, and if you didn't notice he loves cars and the cars movie.

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

Great job. Fish look really good.