I have a stupid betta

duh duh duh

I really enjoy bettas. I have had great success with them in my community tanks (except one who got beat up badly by guppies...).

In any event, the one I had for about 2 years died and I replaced him with a really funky pinky white looking one - real impressive fish.

However, this new Betta is stupid. A mimbo if you will - great looks, small brain. He knows that the NLS pellets are the food. I have seen him eat them from both the top and the bottom of the tank. However, when I feed the tank, he is too stupid to actually go and get it, while the velociraptor-like neons and rasboras eat so much I think they are going to burst. I have to way overfeed the tank, until every other fish is completely saturated, to get the stupid Betta to actually go and eat. Now he is starting to look skinny.

No one is picking on him. Outside of a albino bristlenose, he is the largest fish in the tank, lots of plants, lots of hiding spots for him, made sure that the waterflow in the tank isn't a problem, and have had real good success with every other betta I've had.

any suggestions?

Can I send this idiot to a tutor or something?

Here is an idea, take him out put him in a cup during feeding time, that way your giving too much food.. he can eat in peace, then when he is done put him back in...

Also, the betta might even be not well, so this will help determine if he is or not.

That would be my suggestion ! :thumbs:

I would try removing him for good. They can be kept in fairly small tanks, so he shouldn't take up too much room anywhere. I found most of the time male bettas don't make good community fish, unless it has just been my bad luck. Then you won't have to worry about him not getting enough food :)

Here is an idea, take him out put him in a cup during feeding time, that way your giving too much food.. he can eat in peace, then when he is done put him back in...

Also, the betta might even be not well, so this will help determine if he is or not.

That would be my suggestion ! :thumbs:

won't scooping him up each time totally stress him out?

(the last thing I need is a stressed out mimbo. He will end up on crystal meth or something)

Maybe try a breeding net for him. He'll be able to get the food in the net and if he doesn't you know then that he is sick. If he has poor eyesight then it'll give him time to find the food.

A small tank might be great for his recovery.

Good luck

L

well some good news. On the day I was going to "net feed", I noticed that the mimbo has picked up on the fact that the other fish are eating, and he is now getting the occasional bit of food.

He is still being beaten to the punch and pushed out of the way by the nasty Rasboras (gasp), Neons (the brutality!) and guppies (the horrors).

Maybe he will get it at some point, but at least I'm back to feeding normal amounts and not having to blitz my tank with food so he gets a piece here or there.

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea is to feed the greedy fish on one side of the tank, and once they are all clustered over there, add food on the opposite side of the tank for the betta.

Also, how long ago did you get this fish? I found that with my latest betta (who is alone on his side of the tank), he took nearly two weeks to figure out the pellets were food, so I think they were feeding flakes at the store. The pellets were just too different to what he was expecting.