RO/Di unit

Crystal

Go to Ebay... there are several Canadian sellers that sell complete units... for around 120 dollars or so... I have been using one for a couple of years and just recently changed out the membrane for a new one that cost at 45 dollars on ebay... most RO-DI are more or less the same and good for the water you are talking about....

I have also used the e-bay one. You should get some help setting it up. Remember that ro water isn't the same as di water in that it still contains trace amounts that are almost unmeasurable except it leaves a film behind in my vaporizer and di water doesn't.

Just checked e-bay / the guys from down east have dissapeared... oh well

There are several americans selling and I checked the shipping to canada for a complete unit and it adds 45$ to the cost ...so that is not so bad as it was 25$ for shipping when Ed sent me my RO-DI unit.....

Here is a link http://home.shop.ebay.ca/items/_W0QQLHQ5fA...p;_osacat=11700

There are several americans selling and I checked the shipping to canada for a complete unit and it adds 45$ to the cost ...so that is not so bad as it was 25$ for shipping when Ed sent me my RO-DI unit...

Yeah, but most ship via UPS. Which adds another bunch of unnecessary customs clearance fees to the shipping cost. :tongue: That's why Ed was so handy- cause he shipped from Canada.

Maybe we should contact one of the other Canadian sellers and tell them that there's a serious niche market waiting to be taken advantage of.

What are the chances of me getting nailed with customs clearance fees and roughly how much could they be?

Not a bad system, visiting relatives can use the drinking water as they say our town water tastes funny (strange because their water tastes like a 4yr old was playing with a chemistry set... Even I won't drink their water, which is saying something).

Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the unit? Our house is VERY short on space - I had to get rid of my dressers and tv for fish tanks :shifty: .

The biggest part is the storage tank. Unless you have a lot of other junk under there, you should be able to fit it under your kitchen sink.

Importing goods over C$20 means you will probably have to pay. Click on the "customs clearance fees" link in my previous post for UPS's rates. That's in addition to any duty charges. Plus they add on several $$ to pay the duty on your behalf, deliver to a residential address, etc. Fedex and other couriers are the same- they ding you big time on international shipments. Getting the "express" services instead of ground usually eliminates the fees, but the price increase isn't really worth it.

If you have to order stuff from the US (or wherever), try to get it sent through the mail. They only charge $5-$8 for customs brokering. (Can you tell I'm a chronic eBayer????)

Customs is hit and miss... I really dont know how that works as I have several items come via UPS to me and I wasnt charged a dime extra... If they did catch it I think it wouldnt be more then 15-20 bucks on an item worth 150 bucks... Overal all its still a great investment and not all that expensive... they last a long time with care and the replacement parts or filters are readilly available... on line and at different local stores....

If they did catch it I think it wouldnt be more then 15-20 bucks on an item worth 150 bucks...

Sometimes Canada Post doesn't bother, but UPS always catches it- it's a cash cow for them. Check the fees chart. On something valued at C$100-200 it's $29 + about $10 (COD and residential delivery) + another $10 (duty & tax) for a lovely surprise of about $50 when they show up at the door.

Now... If the US seller insures the item, they usually do it in $100 increments (cause that's how coverage is sold). Now your US$130 item is declared to be valued at US$200 to take advantage of the insurance. Whoops! That's now over C$200 which bumps you up to the next fee bracket: $46.60 (+COD + residential delivery + duty + taxes on everything). Now they want something approaching $70 from you at the door.

That may still be a good deal compared to what you get locally- just be sure to count all the costs.

Whew! Sorry for the anti-UPS rant. I've been burnt by them too many times. :angry:

• 1 month later...

I just bought a RO unit today on Ebay and the seller is from B.C and charged me $25 U.S to ship. It is rated for 50 gallons a day with a 4 gallon storage tank and comes with a U.V sterilizer. It was $229.00 Canadian with shipping(the hardware store in town quoted me $420.00) I would pay more than this for my drinking water and what I use for my discus!!