Cloudy Tank

Hi all,

Our 90 gallon community tank has been cloudy for a long time now. We have done lots of water changes, filter cleanings, picked food up when they are done. We have added B Clear and P Clear. Nothing seems to work at all.

Our only speculation is a large piece of driftwood in the tank. We have had it in there for a good year now and the water doesn't even seem that brown anymore. Just cloudy.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Well, there's 10 3" Silver Dollars, 2 moonlight Gouramis, 1 Betta, 9 scissor tail tetras, 5 Rosy Barbs, and 2 Plecos. All combined 67" of fish.

25% water changes weekly, temp 78 to 80 deg. We feed NLS daily, and bloodworms (frozen) occasionally. Running XP3, and one 802 powerhead. The filter is cleaned about every 3 weeks, with new carbon. This same filter kept our marine system spottless.

We have about 2-3" playsand, 80 lbs slate (lose about 3" of water) so we would est. 70 U.S. gal of water is in the tank. We also have a large piece of driftwood-from B.C. This piece would leech for quite some time, but isn't bad now.

Can't think of anything else. We aren't able to run a AC 500 on it, can't get behind it.

We have added some aquarium salt (1 month ago), all levels show fine.

All tests indicate that everything is okay.

It's really hard to explain what the tank looks like. It's not milky, not even green or brownish. It's just cloudy, especially when you compare it to the other tanks.

Let me put it this way... when you look through from end to end, it's like looking when you need glasses. It's just not crystal clear like it should be.

Quite a puzzle for us.

Rhonda

Just did a 30% water change. So you guys suggest not using carbon at all? What kind of media would you suggest? We have stuff for biological filtration, and have floss in there. I was always under the impression that the carbon would clear the water for a longer time period. If not, we sure have wasted alot of money on that stuff.

I only use carbon to remove chemicals(like meds) from the water. In my filters i just use filter floss( catches smaller debris) and sponges.

I would stop using the carbon on a regular basis and add more floss, or somethign with tiny holes to be able to catch whatever is making your tank cloudy.

Can you actaully see particles?

Yup. They are visible. Funny how it happened out of nowhere. We will try getting rid of the carbon, and adding more floss. Would be nice to get this problem solved, looks gross the way it is. Could it be like a form of algae? Maybe time to change bulbs? This stuff seems to appear quicker than we can get rid of it.

If not, we sure have wasted alot of money on that stuff.

and so have many others. AFter a couple of days the carbon is useless except the bag will provide a surface area for bacterial to grow however a sponge is a lot cheaper and works a lot better.

Rick

Well, this tank is going to get even cloudier now. We sold "The Crown Jewel" today, and dismantle it tommorrow. I kinda have to assume that the driftwood in there is rotting I guess. Nothing has worked to clear up the water.

Will be sticking to Bogwood in the larger tank. (And, now we will have the room!!!) :thumbs: