Importing Fish

Music_

I am wondering what is involved in importing fish from Asia. Can I simply call 'em up, pay them the money and have them shipped to whatever airport and pick them up? or do I need to have any documentation before hand? Any horror stories?

Sorry to tell you this, but you will need to have a port of entry there are only 3 ports of entry into canada from Asia that would be Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

You will need a transhipper to get them from the port of entry, then the transhipper who is at one of these ports of entry would ship the fish onto you.

You would be better off to get the fish from the states, which can be flown in and you just pick up, and pay any GST on the cost of the fish. Most flights from the states come directly here.

No special paper work needed.

Most, members do breed and sell alot of Cichlids here, you might want to ask locally if there are the type your looking for are available rather then the costs associated with shipping fish in.

IMHO

You would still need a trans shipper to receive thee fish for you. With the cost of shipping and trans shipper it would be cheaper to just fly them in. I do agree with BlackMbuna there is mostly likely someone in Canada breeding what you are looking for or who has what your looking for just look around.

Its just like buying a truck in the states. Even if you go to the border to pick the truck up you still need the broker to get it in to Canada. Just like fish just because your willing to drive to BC and bring them back you still need the Trans Shipper.

BTW if you watch airline tickets it would probably be cheaper to just fly to Vancouver and back than pay for gas.

I did this ONE time...and never again. I drove all the way to Vancouver Airport, 12 hrs over night to meet the flight. Picked up my fish...and they were so close to dying already that I had to stop at a LFS and re-bag them just for the drive back to Calgary. It was a VERY grueling drive. Clearing customs wasn't so much an issue but the drive there and back sucked big time!

What I don't understand is why there's only the three ports of entry from Asia, and why the fish can't be just sent along to another airport as long as it's international and has a customs office? Fish from anywhere else in the world can be sent this way, so why not from Asia?

What I don't understand is why there's only the three ports of entry from Asia, and why the fish can't be just sent along to another airport as long as it's international and has a customs office? Fish from anywhere else in the world can be sent this way, so why not from Asia?

Yeah that is what I am kinda wondering to. I have also e-mailed a couple places who say they do not use trans shippers. The FedEx (or whomever carrier) declares the goods and ship them from there (from what I've been told).

If we (people) want to leave the country for Asia, we have to fly to a port...ie. Vancouver...so must fish upon entry to Canada? That's the only explanation I can offer. When I flew to Thailand I had to go to Vancouver first.

Okay

Asian flights only land in those three locations, everything gets cleared in customs in that airport. If you ship fish in from say the US, there are direct flights from US to Edmonton, from there you can clear in customs. You can also get and clear items from Europe as well.

Vancouver as far as I understand, is not going to have signapore flights cleared there any more, starting in July.

Edmonton, as far as I know is trying to be a Port of Entry for all locations starting in 2012, thats why all the construction at the airport.

FEDEX does not get fish from Asia, you can get a transhipper from the states to ship using Fedex thats about it, but most US fish importers don't ship to Canada..

Edited by BlackMumba

Okay

Asian flights only land in those three locations, everything gets cleared in customs in that airport. If you ship fish in from say the US, there are direct flights from US to Edmonton, from there you can clear in customs. You can also get and clear items from Europe as well.

Vancouver as far as I understand, is not going to have signapore flights cleared there any more, starting in July.

Edmonton, as far as I know is trying to be a Port of Entry for all locations starting in 2012, thats why all the construction at the airport.

FEDEX does not get fish from Asia, you can get a transhipper from the states to ship using Fedex thats about it, but most US fish importers don't ship to Canada..

2012 eh? Oh the fish will be flying then! (And inverts.) :smokey:

Looking forward to Port Alberta.