Interviews?

I've seen this sort of thing done very well in active forums, and since Alberta Aquatica is a very active forum, I thought I'd give it a roll.

Perhaps we could create a separate board, appoint a person-- or persons -- and each week (or ever two weeks) they'd choose someone amongst the 300+ members and interview them. Questions would, of course, pertain to this hobby we all collectively enjoy. Though, it wouldn't hurt to briefly touch upon other interests. It grants us all the opportunity to learn more about each individual members. New people, such as myself, can really benefit from this, because it gives us a chance to learn something about the veterans. Of course, this also works in vice versa; as it eases the newbies into the community effortlessly.

The interviewing process can take place over a messenger service, such as MSN, or through e-mail, or, if people are willing, over the phone. I personally favour real-time (messenger services), as opposed to delayed contact (e-mail), because it gives opportunity for the interviewer to dig a little deeper into a topic. It also create unexpected questions and answers on the fly.

It's been a thought, nevertheless. What do you guys think?

By the way, I apologize if this has been suggested before. I would have looked, but I didn't seem to find a search function?

Definitely an awesome idea, to showcase peoples web pages and become more personal and up front. Also allowing others like you said newer people to the site to know which people to ask questions to about what. I say we do this for sure, it would definitely add to the value of the site, but how do you suppose we decide who should be interviewed or showcased? Is it done on simply a vote???

Great idea and I think this would be a great contribution thanks, The Oxman

, but how do you suppose we decide who should be interviewed or showcased? Is it done on simply a vote???

Great idea and I think this would be a great contribution thanks, The Oxman

You could interview the member of the month, at least to start with. Once they start repeating just have a moderator choose someone else.

I think the choice of interviewer would be a more difficult decision. Anybody have experience? Maybe that position could rotate as well, possibly through volunteers, people who know a bit about the person and could steer the conversation the right way, moderators, etc.

Cool idea.

I like your ideas but was thinking of maybe a group interview, where anyone can ask a question for the interviewer to ask. A simple Q/A would work with maybe a short headline where the Member interviewed could give some insight into his attributes to the hobby. This could all work well. Maybe an even better way to choose would be to have the MOM interviewed by one of the people who voted for them. Q and A point form could even be accomplished on this site and pinned with a ban on adding info afterwards.

personally i think that the MSN idea is the best, that way you can edit and customize your interview better and more personal

as for doing a group thing, i would think have 2-3 interviewers and 1 interviewiee (sp?) would get the best outta a interview

I have done lots of interviews with my line of work, being on both ends of the fence and i would be more then happy to be part of a team on this

Mark

It's great you guys think well of this idea!

Of course, judging by the responses, we certainly have a lot of loose ends to tie up.

This can be used in conjunction with the Member of the Month, and I stand beside that. Though, I also think it's worth it to randomly pick another person from this 300+ grouping. Maybe two interviewees per month?

Speaking of which, anyone have any programming knowledge? Because you could rig something that randomly picks a member. I do believe Moderators have a complete listing of all the people here to date? I could be wrong, however.

As for the interviewers themselves, I'm thinking someone whose been around a while should be it. They have a lot of foreknowledge of the people here. Perhaps a good conversationalist? You know, people in this forum could even nominate someone; at least if the nominee is willing?

The truth is, we can have tons of fun with this! I'm totally willing to help out anyway possible.

What do you guys think?

By the way, this forum [blueHarvest.net] is where I got the idea, but there was a Bird-based forum that originally did the whole interviewing-thing. I can't, for the life of me, think of the of the name. If I find it, I'll let you know so you guys can grab examples from it. :D

Didn't see the last two postings before my previous.

I actually quite enjoy the idea of a group-based interview. That would create far more unique questions for the interviewee.

Though, Oxquo, when you said a "short headline" do you mean a short blurb before the questions-and-answers? Because, that would be a fantastic idea! B)

I had found another interview or MOM of the month schpiel which was kinda interesting but I found it to be a little shy on actual gumption. I would expect only the best from AA. interview

I say lets get started and pin a nomination. I think the other site had a right idea though of having Mods and admins vote but it may be more fair to have a poll for such a thing. That way everyone is involved and maybe the mods could start off the interview seeing that they have been around quite awhile, and give a forefront into why they feel this person was chosen and what they bring to the board. After that, the interview and after that maybe just general questions from members. I really think that the newbies on AA could benefit from seeing up close and personal the types of characters we have here, uh just a sec, nope maybe thats a bad thing. lol. Nyasa, unless your MOM frequents AA I see no problem lol.

I have posted a vote page in the water cooler. What I have decided is to let members vote for who they want, take the most popular 5 and then allow by poll a member of that top 5 to be the spotlight member of the month. As for incentives, being able to show off your knowledge is it. As you vote for someone you have a chance to say you would like to ask them questions via PM or msn and you can write a small blurb on them in the headline. Once the interview is complete other members may ask questions. This is too good of an idea to pass up, but I think open voting allows even those new to the board a chance to be recognised. Sunday will be cut off for nominations which gives even the weekend only PC users a chance and Monday I will place the poll with the top 5 nominees, there, done. Great idea Nyasa. We appreciate it.

Those who wish not to be nominated or interviewed can Pm me and I have printed a list so they can be removed from it.