save cash - modified original post

trevorich

cut too many corners and you might find yourself with poor results.

But something to think about. It is possible to run a tank without water changes or filters.

not if you want your tank to live for long

But something to think about. It is possible to run a tank without water changes or filters.

I didn't do a water change for 9 months. Monitored all levels and replaced missing water with ro water. I bred sterbai in the water. Also kept blue rams.

I've also been reading a lot on the walstad method of keeping an aquarium that describes how to do it without filters, and even bacteria. I was considering buying a $400 eheim for my tank, but might be trading that idea in for black dirt.

I didn't do a water change for 9 months. Monitored all levels and replaced missing water with ro water. I bred sterbai in the water. Also kept blue rams.

I've also been reading a lot on the walstad method of keeping an aquarium that describes how to do it without filters, and even bacteria. I was considering buying a $400 eheim for my tank, but might be trading that idea in for black dirt.

nice!!

Interesting and very informative. Thanks for the info everyone. It's possible to keep the aquarium going without water changes IF you have lots of plants and trim allot and have very few fish. If you look at lakes and the natural places fish come from they hardly ever get anything remotely resembling a water change and yet they still live have babies and so on.

The Gravel vac filter idea is one i had tought of and considerd myself on my own I just need to get an extra one first. The key is to remove the gunk from the filter after the WC so it's removed from the tank system. I think this would be a great way to remove the bottom gunk and still cut down on the amount of water needed to be changed.

The light from Rona you talked about is a great idea for someone like me who has little to no money to replace or get new lights. Home Depot has a 48inch light fixture (plug in type) for 15.00 and those cheap aquarium bulbs for 6 or 7 dollars. So for less than 25$ i can have a Brand new pretty white canopy light. Great for those who want to stay on budget.

Thanks for all those tips and as for charcoal Well there are some who want it to reduse smell so the pool brands should be fine.

Have a great day

L

• 2 months later...

I was considering buying a $400 eheim for my tank, but might be trading that idea in for black dirt.

Explain the black dirt idea...how does this replace a filter?

In order to run a tank with little or no water changes and no filter it has to be extremely heavily planted and have a very, very light bioload--the focus is more on the plants than any fish.

This article is very informative with respect to using soil (low light, low tech):

http://lowlightlowtechplanted.blogspot.com/