Tang Community Tank

Fishful Thinking

I may be purchasing a 360 gallon tank in the near future. Part of what I love about getting a new and bigger tank is thinking of all of the possibilities. I would eventually want to go with some big fish, but in the meantime I was thinking of combining my two tropheus colonies in it. That does not seem to be a major issue, but I have some fish that I was thinking of adding.

The tank will be 96x36x24. If breeding were not a goal, would the following combination work?

- 22 chimba (2 inches)

- 22 kiriza (1.5-3.5 inches)

- 8 multipunctatus (3-4 inches)

- 12 petricolas (4 at 3 inches, 8 at 2 inches)

- 2 compressiceps (2.5 inches)

- 1 calvus (2.5 inches)

- 1 julidochromis marlieri (3 inches)

- 2 BN (1 at 4 inches, 1 at 3 inches)

Thanks.

Hey Greg. I see your getting about as much help with this as I am with my frontosa tank question.

:rofl:

As you know I'm no expert on the subject, but I'll offer my quick 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I tried putting a goldhead compreciseps in with my 2 black calvus in my 55 a while ago. He didn't stay long, he picked on the female calvus non stop.

That being said, I am going to try them together in my 180 again. Along with fronts, leleupis, and a few juli's.

I hope to see less problem with much more room. You'll have even more room yet, so I would expect the space would allow them to co-habitate peacefully. But thats just a guess at this point. If I have them together in the 180 before you have the 360, I'll let you know how it goes.

My only other thought is that with only 1 calvus and 1 juli, they might feel overwhelmed (stressed) by the tropheus' high energy antics. You may consider adding a few more of each of these speces.

Other than that, I think you'll have enough room to make that stock list work easily, with room to grow.

Again, for what my opinion is worth... :)

Boom :boom:

Oh by the way, with us both doing large Tang tanks, we could always swap fish if we ever needed to. ;) Just a thought.

Hopefully, the Tropheus will be too busy chasing each other to leave your other fish alone. I, too, would add another Calvus and Juli.. or two... or 6 :)

You may not see much of the cats and Juli now, but once they grow, it should be a nice display! :thumbs:

Shellies should work. Get them full grown, tho. Right now, my N. brevis hold their own in my Tang tank - they're full grown, and everything else (except P. nigripinis) are only 1/2 grown.

How 'bout a Tanganyikan eel? I always thought one of those would be cool... I think Spencer Jack has 'em.

Greg are you wanting to breed and keep tropheus fry? If so, the syno's might cause you problems, they are real quick egg snatchers apparently.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Here's where the list stands right now:

- 22 chimba (2 inches)

- 22 kiriza (1.5-3.5 inches)

- 8 multipunctatus (3-4 inches)

- 12 petricolas (4 at 3 inches, 8 at 2 inches)

- 6 compressiceps (2.5 inches)

- 6 calvus (2.5 inches)

- 6 julidochromis marlieri (3 inches)

- 6 tang. gobies

- 6 shellies

- 2 BN (1 at 4 inches, 1 at 3 inches)

Does anyone have any experience with tang. eels?