Power filter vs Canister

lt1fj40

I am planning on buying a new 72 or 80 bow front aquarium fresh water and I wanted to know what is the main reason why people go with canisters over a power filter setup? It looks like price is a difference and canisters do bigger tanks but for a 80 do I need it?

I like to use 2 canister filters rated for 2 to 3 times the size of the tank for my larger tanks. You can under filter but I don't think you can over filter. With 2 filters they can be alternated when cleaning, and I find canisters to be more on the quiet side.

Definately the Noise, Humidity, hassle with fitting it to the lid, overflowing risk, and the extra effort when restarting after a water change is why i want to switch to a canister. I'm planning a Undergravel filter with the water pumped into the filter not out to make getting gunk out from under the rocks easier.

It's a matter of preference and Price.

Good luck

L

• 1 month later...
It should I have one on a lightly stocked 90 and its fine. I use cannisters and sumps on most of my tanks. But don't skimp on the water changes.

I like trickle filters as well. They help to aerate the aquarium.

X2 on the trickle filter, LOVE mine. No heaters in the tank, no intakes, etc. Lots of room for media, and easy to maintain.