Come on guys, Say hi atleast...

Oxquo

Upon my making a list of the active members list I have discovered that there have been 84 members who have not made an actual post. It is very hard for anyone to get to know the members on this board if they are virtually non-existant. Granted some of them were spammers and have long since left, but we are missing out on the added touch of a healthy active members board. If you join atleast say hi and allow us to extend our welcome out to you, there are some good people here on this board but you won't find them until you speak. As for the spammers, I think that they would more than likely be the ones who just post once, you'd be a pretty sad salesman if you never posted at all. We even have alot of spammers that stick around and advertise all over this board so the chance that 0 posts would be a spammer is slim.

so come on, it can't possibly be any fun to sit back and read posts, this is a message board, we are here to interact. Don't feel shy, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Not counting members who have made 0 posts, we actually have 242 members.

Gee, I wonder what would happen if all 22667 registered users on cichlid-forum.com decided to post on the forum boards every day? :lol:

The reality is some people may never post, some join up & read the forum every day, some may only pop in once a week or month, and others may join simply to advertise their wares in the Buy/Sell/Trade folder.

Such is life .......

Actually, I would have totally lurked, had Smokey not have told me to introduce myself in this forum.

I think someone needs to think of another idea to steer guests to this forum first. I know the blip under the "Say Hello" forum exists, but most people ignore it. Do moderators have an auto-PM for newcomers? I don't know how InvisionBoard works, but most Bulletin Board Systems have an option that allows you to write a quick "Welcome to [insert Forum Name Here]!" It's sent as the first Private Message anyone receives after registering.

Some systems just allow you to customize an e-mail which is sent with the registration details.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people find it too tacky to introduce themselves. Really, it's the same, "Hi, I'm So-and-So, and I found this place by such-and-such way. My interests are ..."

I don't mind it, and I know the moderating team, plus the active members are very amicable with newcomer posting in this forum. Though, like I said, some people just think it becomes too tedious, so they don't bother.

Well this is kinda what I am saying, some people are shy, understandable, But you learn more by asking, it's not like everyone one on this board has a last name of Schwartzi or Axelrod, As for RD's comment, yeah could you imagine, it would rock! that is why we come here, could you imagine no one posting for say 2 weeks? Hmmm alot of people would go somewhere else wouldn't they. Wouldn't be very good business for all the people advertising stuff for sale on here either would it?

I think what we need is a greeting crew or something, someone who is on here alot, to greet the new people to the board, You could learn an awful lot from some of the new arrivals no doubt and they would have someone to turn to that they know. I mean not everyone can be like RD says and walk into a party, sit down and say nothing. Maybe not all of it but I think most of it is shyness, and no, there is nothing wrong with just reading, my whole point in complete is that some of these people may have come from boards around but are really too shy to say anything so don't and soon or maybe already they go back to their other boards because in some way shape or form they didn't feel welcome. As just a person who reads this board may lack seeing that we seldomly see a breeding report, species report or even detailled DIY projects that they could follow and learn from. Basically we all have done most of the 3 but never posted them in true detail. A greeting crew may be a good idea just to make sure they are getting settled and so they know someone here. Growth is Prospertity, shrinkage is getting out of a cold Jasper lake to face the girl your trying to impress.

Wouldn't be very good business for all the people advertising stuff for sale on here either would it?

I guess that's a double edged sword, isn't it?

Most of the "business" members on this site also spend a great deal of their own time & money contributing to this site. Most of 'us' also have banners & links from our web sites, to this one. I can only speak for myself, but if/when this board gets moved to its new home, I certainly would have no problem paying a yearly fee (as I have on other boards) to have my web site banner rotated with other paying businesses.

I mean, after all, I wouldn't want someone to think of me as a spammer. :wacko:

I have to admit that I am tarty at best welcoming new members. It is at the point that I do not nor have frequented the say hello colum. As a result I have now not responded to many new member. Simply at this point I dont know who is new and therefore wouldnt want anyone to feel slighted because I didnt say Welcome. So here is a blanket cover... WELCOME TO ALL, ENJOY YOUR VISITS AND TIME WITH THIS GREAT BUNCH OF AQUARISTS.

Now I feel better..... B)

Garhan

I'd consider myself an average "user." I'll ask a question once in a while and try to answer one every few days. I never posted anything about me on SAY HELLO and I rarely look there and respond. I don't know why I went here today?!

That doesn't mean I'm not friendly or interested, I'd just rather discuss a real question rather than chit-chat.

Punman that is what I'm talking about, you don't have to post in the hello ad but even the newest fishkeeper can teach us something or even better make us remember some step we often skip. Posts everyday are not necessary but in the case of one of the best breeders I know in Edmonton, everything he does is top secret, seldom does he let out a hint but he always listens intently to every conversation, Why??? I don't know... It was a newbie that actually put me back into the habit of weekly water testing, a habit that I broke a long time ago until my well started causing me grief. It is always good when aquarists can help other aquarists and it's not just a one way street.

Truth is RD, that this place is full of salesmen and that isn't a bad thing, the bad thing is when that is all that happens here, when I talk spam, I talk about people who come in spurt out their link and disappear. You and others who sell things on this site contribute alot more than just products and share your knowledge. You have knowledge to share generally when you promote a product related to the hobby, now if you were selling tampax on here I may think differently. Whether I like the product someone sells is irrelevant, but it is good to hear their views on that product so we can make our own minds up.

That said, questions are how we learn, statements and answers are how we teach, the more we learn the more knowledge we possess to teach to make smarter, more sucessfull aquarists of tomorrow. I am not saying come in and tell your life story, just say something and let us know you are here.

Well, being very new myself, and trying to catch up on a lot of very informative posts in here, and dealing with a tank full of ick :boxer: I will admit, there are a few posts i would have liked to respond on, or asked questions about, but was worried they would be looked upon as "stupid questions or comments" . Reading this post has vansihed all my fears. I will now fire off all my stupid questions, and harass all off you, with your knowledge, as often as possible!! :smokey:

Good to hear it AquaDiva, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers to legitimate questions. As aquarists we have killed many fish just to learn how to keep them better, maybe our experiences can help to save some lives now. Hope we can be of help to you and even visa versa in the nearest future.....

• 2 weeks later...

WELCOME Jayaa, ENJOY YOUR VISITS AND TIME WITH THIS GREAT BUNCH OF AQUARISTS. There you go! :smokey: :smokey: (great opening line. Wonder if it works to pick up chics ??] -roll- -roll- -roll-

Actually, Tanya; I have learned more about yourself and your setups, since you have started posting here, than when you come into the store. Which is all about becoming an active member of this stite.

Smokey

B)

BTW, you have come along way in a very short time. Congradulations.

AquaDiva - you are so right.

Intimidation can cause one to "hold back", " be quiet". However, once a person has taken the first step [ posting ], the fear goes away quickly. AND, the more a person posts the more confident they become :boxer:

All of a sudden the person has become an active member, able to converse, challange and learn with the rest of the best.

Smokey

B)

BTW ...WELCOME AquaDiva, ENJOY YOUR VISITS AND TIME WITH THIS GREAT BUNCH OF AQUARISTS. :smokey: