Any other Polypterid fans?

Madness

I absolutely fell in love with the first Bichir (senegalus) I ever saw.... and decided I had to buy all 3 that were in the tank :) Since then, I have added another Senegal, and 2 damn beautiful Ornates to my collection

My original 3 were only about 2 1/2" when I got them... hasnt taken them long at all to reach 7-8" already, my Ornates are slightly smaller at about 6 1/2"

I only have them in a 54 gallon tank at the moment, but within 2-3 weeks I will have a nice big 180+ gallon custom tank for them

My most recent purchase... my 10" Senegal is in with my Red Tail Barracudas and their 90 gallon... and loving it

These fish are truly enjoyable to watch

I have an ornate and a lapredei. The lapredei is easily one of my favorite fish. Lots of personality and does well with just about any fish I have him with. Tough as nails.

The ornate is...I have no idea I never see him.

Bichers are great though.

Toirtois on this board is a serious collector of them so I am sure he should chime in pretty quick.

Toirtois on this board is a serious collector of them so I am sure he should chime in pretty quick.

Bingo...I have a whack of them:

14 Polypterus s. senegalus (Senegal bichir)

10 Polypterus ornatipinnis (ornate bichir)

5 Polypterus palmas polli (marbled bichir)

4 Polypterus delhezi (armoured bichir)

4 Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri (saddled bichir)

4 Polypterus bichir lapradei

2 Polypterus endlicheri congicus (Congo bichir)

2 Polypterus retropinnis retropinnis

1 Polypterus retropinnis lowei (Lowe's bichir)

6 Erpetoichthys calibaricus (ropefish/reedfish)

Word on the streets has it that Christian also has an impressive collection of mental disorders - Crazy being the most prevailant and obvious.

Haha, just kidding man.

Rumour is more than on the street....I think my family is just short of having me committed. :lol:

• 6 months later...
Chum's has couple of ornates for 25.00...I was so tempted but opted for two rainbow SH...with my luck they are both males...but its okay...I will just try again!

JS

Not anymore.....a chap I know from Ontario came in and scooped all 6 of them on the 27th.