Water treatments (a RD pinned article)

Moutain Dew

RD wrote

"I wrote the following over a year ago, but the info may help explain some of what takes place when using water treatments such as Seachem Prime.

Having been converted to the "dark side" by several Python users I'm now adding my water conditioner for Chloramine to the tank as I refill with fresh water via a Python.

Having said that, I wanted to make sure that my water conditioner (Seachem Prime) was indeed binding the ammonia once the chlorine & ammonia were split. Unfortunately the vast majority of ammonia test kits do NOT test for free ammonia, only 'total' ammonia so I was uncertain as to what was happening once the fresh water & Prime mixed in my tank. "

What are the views on adding prime during refill or at the end of refill....

I do it at the end... I was always worried that the prime would bound to the chloramine but at the end I would have ammonia that was still present and not have enough prime left in the tank to take care of remaining chloramine.. if this makes any sense?

I dont' know much about the chemistry of prime and how exactly it works but on my big tanks I add the prime at the beginning. My thoughts were I don't' want the fish being exposed to 5 mins of chloramines while the tank is filling. Sometimes on my bigger tanks I add half the dose at the beginning and the rest about half way through or at the end.

I used to add it at the end but I noticed in my larger tanks(90g african) that the fish were flashing against the rocks during refills. The flashing stopped once i started adding the prime at the beginning.

If added at the end of the refill, your fish are being exposed to chloramine during the entire refill process.

Depending on the size of your tank, and the percentage of water being removed/added, over time that may prove

to be harmful to your fish. I always add my water conditioner in stages, during the refill process.

By doing so I'm simply reducing any potential of my fish being exposed to chlorine/ammonia.

HTH

If added at the end of the refill, your fish are being exposed to chloramine during the entire refill process.

Depending on the size of your tank, and the percentage of water being removed/added, over time that may prove

to be harmful to your fish. I always add my water conditioner in stages, during the refill process.

By doing so I'm simply reducing any potential of my fish being exposed to chlorine/ammonia.

HTH

So are you putting the equivalent of the tank everytime? or are you putting in a fraction of the total amount needed?

To me it sounds like if you use a python type method you are goin to expose your fish either way... as opposed to treating a bucket of water...

My water changes are typically in the 50-60% range, and I treat for the entire tank volume. Using a python type water change system is very safe if used properly. Keep in mind that I always add my water conditioner in stages, before, during, and at the end of the fill. Using my method the chances of the fish being exposed to any harmful amounts of chlorine/ammonia is zero.

In a well established system, even with chloramine treated tap water, small water changes in the 10% range wouldn't even require a water conditioner. The organics in the tank would break the chlorine/ammonia down, and between the bio filters and the rest of the organics in the tank itself your fish wouldn't be exposed to any health risks.

Edited by RD.